4. the banished

"Christ, Campbell, you are such a goddamn princess," Eddie shouts at me as he paces around the room

"Christ, Campbell, you are such a goddamn princess," Eddie shouts at me as he paces around the room.The sun is beginning to set and I am beginning to panic, desperately trying to find solutions to our current situation. "Not all of us have the privilege of being a rich cheerleader," he jabs and I roll my eyes. We've been sitting in silence all day until this very moment, and for some reason, it's a little refreshing. Arguing is somehow a lot better than staring into absolute nothingness, alone with my thoughts.

"I'm just saying that if we go to the police sooner rather than later, we'll look less suspicious," I throw my hands into the air angrily. "Do you wanna run for the rest of your life?" I ask him and he stops in his tracks, glaring at me as if I'm crazy. I can see that my words struck a nerve in him.

"If it means I'm alive? Then, yeah, Campbell, I'm gonna run," his anger is slightly terrifying, especially with the devil staring at me on his t-shirt. "Im 'The Freak,' right? You go to the police with your little ponytail and goddamn expensive shoes and they'll let you run home to mommy. I go to the police? They might just kill me right there," he suggests and I roll my eyes at him.

"You're being dramatic," I fold my arms across my chest and he scoffs, shaking his head at me. "If we have the same story they have to believe us."

"Right, yeah, the story about Chrissy floating to the ceiling and having her eyes ripped out by a fucking ghost?" His voice cracks as he recalls what happened and his eyes grow glossy. "You're so goddamn out of touch it's unbelievable," He scowls at me and my mouth falls open, offended.

"You act like I'm some perfect princess. I have problems too," I defend myself and he wipes his eyes swiftly, looking at me like I'm an idiot. There is a pound of judgment in his gaze and part of me thinks I should stop before he sacrifices my soul.

"Right. I forgot," He finally sits, resting his elbows on his knees as he glances up at me. "Veronica Campbell got replaced in her pom-pom dance. What will she do now?" My blood is boiling and I have to control myself before I start throwing shit at him in fury. I clench my fists and suck in a frustrated breath.

"What the hell is your problem?" My voice is louder than it should be considering we're supposed to be hiding. "You're a total dick to me. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt because Chrissy liked you. Now I'm starting to think you had her under some sort of satanic spell."

"Would you fuck off with the satanic shit? I don't sacrifice shit, It's a fucking fantasy game! And Chrissy wasn't a priss like you," He hisses at me and I rise to my feet in utter frustration. "She wasn't trapped in her privilege bubble. She actually acted like a real human being," He snaps at me.

"Did I do something to you? Like, you act like you fucking know me but you don't," I feel a cool breeze brush against my legs and Im reminded that I'm still in my cheer uniform. I cross my arms, thinking it'll warm me up and he stands up again.