10. watergate

We had been wandering around for what felt like hours, following closely behind Dustin as the needle on his compass flicked back and forth

We had been wandering around for what felt like hours, following closely behind Dustin as the needle on his compass flicked back and forth. The sun had already set and an icy breeze was wafting against my bare arms. And, despite having been walking for ages, we haven't left the woods.

I think we passed Skull Rock at least ten times when trying to follow Dustin's wonky directions. With the alcohol no longer giving me the high that I needed, I'm feeling exhausted and honestly just want to sleep.

At one point, I could tell that Eddie was a little tipsy because he kept bumping into me. However, now we're both stone cold sober at the bottom of our highs and everything is miserable again.

As we approach an opening where the trees begin to thin out, a short stop sends me crashing into Eddie's shoulder. I retract in pain, seeing him holding Dustin by the nape of his shirt who was just one step away from sinking into water.

"Watch your step, big guy," Eddie warns him and all of our eyes pan to the giant body of water ahead of us. The body of water that looks, unfortunately, all too familiar. Lover's Lake.

"Oh man. You gotta be shitting me," Steve groans as each one of us trickles closer to the shore line.

"Yeah. I thought these woods looked familiar," Eddie huffs, staring vacantly into the vast open space. An image flickers into my mind of Patrick and his mangled limbs hanging in the air. I shiver as I recall the vomit-inducing sounds of his bones cracking.

"This is confounding," Dustin glances around in disappointment, mirroring Steve with his hands on his hips.

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max questions from beside me and we all peer at each other in hopes that someone will have an answer.

"Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way," Nancy theorizes with confidence to her tone.

"Demogorgon...?" I ask, my voice trailing off in embarrassment at how many times I've asked for clarification. I'd be annoyed with all of my questions if I were them.

"Tall monster, pale body, face opens like a flower," Steve gives me a quick run down like it's nothing. He looks at Nancy and nudges her, "let's test this theory, shall we?" With that, Eddie yanks the tarp off of our trusty ole boat that we abandoned in the middle of the lake last night. I guess the police dragged it to shore and covered it for the sake of the wood because now it rests a few feet from the water line.

Steve bends over to help Eddie set it into the water, lifting one end off the ground. "Easy, easy," Steve mutters as they lower the boat, but Eddie's hand slips and it falls. "I said easy, man!" Steve groans and Eddie shrugs, muttering an apology under his breath.