13. the plan

It had been a few minutes of each of us pacing around, gathering ideas in our minds

It had been a few minutes of each of us pacing around, gathering ideas in our minds. As hard as I tried, nothing would come into light and I felt utterly useless. I know these people are ten times smarter than I will ever be and its even more noticeable now that my brain is completely empty when it need not be.

"Guys. C'mere," Eddie breaks the silence as he grabs the phone book from Max's shelf. We follow him closely as he takes it to the dining room table, slamming it open to about halfway through the book. "Check this out," he points to an advertisement, "The War Zone. I've been there once. It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh, killing things basically."

"And you've been there...?" I ask with hesitation, a little concerned about what kind of things he's been killing.

"Yeah, Campbell," His voice is flooded with agitation, "I sold some shitty hunting kills for cash. Not everyone has daddy's money." I stiffen at the mention of a dad and the sudden hostility in his tone. He notices my recoiling and his eyes fill with regret when he remembers.

"You think fake Rambo has enough guns there?" Robin quickly overlaps the conversation when she notices my face drop. "Is that a grenade?" She points to the advertisement, "I mean, how is any of this legal?"

"Well, lucky for us it is, so..." He smiles wryly and sighs. "This place is just far enough outside of Hawkins. As long as we steer clear of main roads, we oughta be able to avoid cops and angry hicks." I wince at the idea of going somewhere public. The idea of getting caught and probably getting sent back home to mom sends shivers down my back. I don't want to go back there. Ever again.

"If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't be going to a store called 'The War Zone,'" Lucas's sister remarks and I quickly nod my head in agreement, grasping for any excuse to stay hidden.

"Normally, I'd agree, but we need the weapons. So, I think it's worth the risk," Nancy huffs and I squeeze my eyes shut. Once Nancy is on board with a plan, you know it's solid. Fuck.

"But, is it worth the time? It'll take us all day to bike there and back," Dustin mentions and my body reignites with hope.

"Who said anything about bikes?" Fucking Eddie cuts in. Of all people, I feel like he'd be the one wanting to lay low.

"You got some sort of car we don't know about?" Steve questions confusedly and Eddie stands from his hunched position. He looks at Steve and shakes his head.

"It's not exactly a car, Steve. And it's not exactly mine. But, it'll do," he grins with the joy of having a working plan. He turns swiftly to Max who stands beside me, her arms across her chest. "Hey, Red, you got two ski masks or bandanas? Something like that?" He questions and the gears in his head work as his tongue pokes out.