Eight

"What do you mean 'calm down'? You don't tell me what to do!" My dad screamed slurring.

"I'm sorry daddy I didn't mean-" His rough, hard hand connected with my cheek and I fell to the floor sobbing.

"Don't you dare talk back to me! You're just like your damn mother! She was always telling me what to do, always being sweet and nice," he said maliciously as he bent down over my shaking body, "well you know what? Sweet and nice doesn't get you anywhere but pregnant you little slut. And if you think you're bringing your pregnant self in here then I'll kill you and that damned baby."

I covered my face in a helpless attempt to avoid his burning glare. He pulled me to my feet with his rough hands and slung me into the coffee table. I yelped in pain as the back of my head hit the glass. I pressed my trembling hand to my head and felt the warm liquid ooz over my hand and slide down my arm.

My dad grunted and threw the empty beer bottle he had in his hand at the wall behind me. Glass shattered around me as I screamed and ducked in fear. "Clean this up. And don't get blood on the carpet, you lazy piece of-"

My eyes flew open as I unconsciously cried out Matt's name. His strong, warm hands wrapped around my arms and pulled me up from his lap to face him. "Ki what's wrong?" He shook me gently making sure I was fully awake. I shook my head and tried to avoid his concerned gaze. I wiped my hands under my eyes, wiping away the tears while still trying to preserve my makeup.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"You were crying back there. We asked you what was wrong but you didn't answer. You almost had me pull over, I was so worried." I heard Sarah's soft, small voice say from the front. I turned my head, facing the front, and met Jason's concerning gaze.

His eyes shone bright-they reflected the neon lights of the city as we passed by countless stores and clubs. They were intense and a glowing color of green. "Are you alright?" He said his voice deep and concerned. I cleared my throat quietly and nodded. I could see the look of concern in Sarah's face when she turned around to look at me once we were at a red light.

"No you're not. That much is obvious," she paused for a second and turned back around pressing the gas,

"Matthew told us about your mom and your dad. That must've been miserable." I shot a look at Matt and he shrugged his shoulders guiltily.

"Don't be mad at him. He wanted to go back to you, but his brothers wouldn't let him. If you want anyone to be mad at, it should be them." Jason interjected.

I swallowed nervously and glanced back at Matt, who remained quiet. Sarah chimed in, "Yea, he was pretty broken up about leaving you alone with your dad like that, but-"

"Sarah." Matt cut her off, shaking his head. She sighed and remained silent, which for her, seemed to be a rare thing. Great, first day here and I was already ruining things. I thought to myself. I sighed quietly and laid back against the cool leather seats.

The rest of the ride was filled up with small talk, but I was no longer in the mood to speak. I thought that my nightmares had ceased once I moved away from my dad, but apparently not. I was secretly praying that I didn't have anymore, at least, not when I was with Matt.

Sarah said that he was really broken up about leaving me, so maybe he cared after all. And if that was the case, then I didn't want him to feel any worse than he already did.

We pulled up to a long white house that looked like it had about four bedrooms. The grass was a beautiful bright green that made the house seem homey. There was a brick sidewalk that connected the porch to the white cemented driveway. And there were maroon colored shutters that matched the brick of the front porch and the rest of the house was a light peach color.