2: mint

"c'mon finney! you're the best pitcher ever!" gwen shouted. she and donna held up a sign saying finn for the winn! yes, win is spelt wrong.

finn made eye contact with the batter. bruce yamada. the best player on the north denver team. he had two strikes already, what's a third?

bruce smirked at finney, waving his bat around. this was the final inning. based loaded. finney looked down at the ball before winding up to throw. he threw it and watched bruce hit it far outfield.

the rest of the front rangers ran trying to catch it, watching it go over the fence.

"home run!" the umpire yelled. they all groaned and sighed as they watched all four of them get to home. bruce made eye contact with finney and winked.

robin dropped his bike onto the others piled there. he ran to the benches, sitting next to gwen and donna. they both greeted him, still focused on the game.

"the other team just got four points!" gwen whined. robin nodded, staring at finney. the blonde turned to the benches and caught his eye. robin waved small, yet finney was beaming from ear to ear.

robin barely came to his games due to his family and his games being too far to bike, but finney didn't care if robin didn't show, he knew he tried every single time, so him being here in the last inning was just perfect.

"you've got this finn!" robin yelled with a smile. finney nodded, turning back to the game. gwen looked up at robin and sighed happily.

***

the game ended with the front range team winning. they all high fived the other team, with finney being last. bruce grabbed his hand and shook it firmly.

"you almost had me there, finney. your arm is mint, dude!" bruce smiled. finney thanked him while starting to walk away. "uh hey! you wanna come to the comic book store with me? i live right by it." bruce asked.

"uh, sorry. i'm gonna hangout with my friend. do you, wanna come?" finney asked. bruce's face lit up, nodding fervently.

they both bid goodbye to their teams and walked over to the benches laughing. robin's eyes narrowed, seeing bruce in front of him.

"you killed it, finney!" gwen yelled, hugging him. donna was on his other side and they cheered for him. finney let them go and smiled at robin. he just smiled at finney, still side eyeing bruce.

"oh, this is bruce! you know him from school." finney chuckled nervously, seeing the disdain in robin's face. robin nodded, shoving his hands into his pockets. "so, ice cream?" finney asked.

"my treat, since i lost." bruce shrugged with a smile. his stupid, warm smile that robin couldn't stand. robin grimaced, walking to his bike with an eye roll.

finney immediately walked after him, taking his bike off the rack. robin looked at finney, then bruce who wasn't far behind.

"que molesto." (how annoying) robin grumbled. finney stood next to him, glaring into his eyes. "¿qué pasa, gringo?" (what's up, white boy) robin asked with his eyebrows furrowed.

"what's up is that you're moping around. did something happen?" finney whispered. robin looked at bruce, gwen and donna, then back at finney.

"i'm cool. i'm chill. it's just," robin bit his lip and shrugged. "just tired." he smiled sarcastically. finney nodded, not believing him for shit. he probably just doesn't wanna talk in front of the others.

"mmk. ice cream awaits!" finney yelled, biking down the road.

***

"we didn't shit our pants, gwen! it's just the dirt!" finney whisper yelled as they all sat at the ice cream bar. "we've been over this." he groaned.

"ok ok! you guys just look disgusting." gwen chuckled, eating her sundae. they all kept joking around, except for robin who was sat on the left of finney. bruce was on the right side.

"even if i had shat my pants, wouldn't it smell?" bruce asked. gwen and donna nearly died from laughter, almost choking on their ice cream.

robin angrily ate his chocolate ice cream, his body completely facing the other way. bruce was a really likeable guy. he was kind, popular, everything robin wasn't.

finney watched robin spin around in his chair, not caring about finney's deep stare. he stopped himself and smiled at the rest of the group.

"you ok, robin?" bruce asked. robin squeezed his ice cream cone so it broke and nodded. stop being nice to me! robin wanted to scream, seeing the chocolate roll down his ice cream.

"sorry, i-" robin cut himself off, dramatically leaving to the bathroom. they watched him kick the pinball machine then the bathroom door opened.

"i'll go talk to him." finney said, running after him to the bathroom. he watched robin washing his hands with his teeth clenched. "dude, are you seriously ok? breaking ice cream isn't the most normal thing to do."

"yes, finn. i am fine!" robin snapped. finney sucked air in and walked behind robin. they made eye contact in the mirror, making robin blush so ever slightly. "i'm just tired. i biked to your game with barely any sleep." robin sighed.

finney nodded, back hugging robin. "i was so happy to see you today. i wanted to be able to celebrate with you." finney whispered. robin felt chills run through his body with his face turning even redder.

"i did too," robin started, turning to face finney. he tightly held his waist, pulling their bodies closer together. "i also wanted to watch texas chainsaw massacre with you." robin barely said.

finney nodded, finally making sense of robin's bitterness. "sorry, kinda last minute, i know." finney whispered with a sad smile. "i wanted to celebrate with just you also. can you lighten up tough? just for me?" finney pouted.

"lo siento, mi novio. i'll lighten up." (i'm sorry, my boyfriend) he smirked.

"i'm your novio?" finney asked. robin nodded, holding him tighter. "am i allowed to know what that is or is it like how it took you three years to tell me what hijo de puta was?"

"none of your business, you son of a bitch." he whispered before leaving for the door. "let's go, i need a free water."

"you're just gonna steal some soda." finney scoffed.

"yes i am!"