14: veteran

robin was asleep as people presented their projects. he didn't really care for anyone that wasn't finney. finney was sweating balls though, nervous on presenting.

"thank you for teaching us about, julie andrews, rebecca. now," mr. holmes looked around the room and smirked when he saw robin sleeping. "robin! it's your turn!"

robin sprang up and stared at him like he was insane. he got up with his trifold and vinyl, already scared. he looked at finney, who was the only person standing and clapping.

"ahem, i'm robin arellano and my hero is my dad, diego lópez arellano. he was born november 17th, 1944. he was also a solider for the vietnam war, who died june 15th, 1974." robin stammered, holding his tears down.

finney was beaming from ear to ear, just proud to see robin talking in front of the class. he would occasionally shoot him a thumbs up before smiling.

"my dad really helped me be the person i am today. he loved the jackson 5, and wore bandanas like me..." robin kept going, just imagining it was the same conversation him and finney had.

he talked a little too long, over the time limit.

"perfect, robin! that was so meaningful." mr. holmes said, almost brought to tears. robin nodded, and looked at the class. many kids were close to crying.

"how did you find out your dad died?" a student asked from the back. robin sucked how teeth as everyone froze. "sorry if that was inappropriate."

"no, it's fine. we got a letter from the president or something, and it said he died." robin smiled sadly as he packed his project up. "it was like nixon or ford, don't remember which one." he shrugged.

"probably nixon, he was a bitch." the same student scoffed. robin and other students snickered before fully laughing. mr. holmes quieted everyone down before looking back at robin.

"thank you again, robin. you may sit down." he smiled, patting robin's back. robin nodded and sat back in his chair. finney held out his fist before robin fist bumped him.

"nice job, man." finney whispered. robin turned around and blew a kiss.

***

finney, bruce and robin stood at vance's doorstep, waiting for someone to answer. finney still needed to invite him to the party, but he's terrified of vance. he also thought it would be nice for robin to actually get to know bruce.

"guess he's not home." robin shrugged, shoving his hands into his jeans. finney nodded until the door swung open. it was vance drinking chocolate milk.

"oh, hey robin! hey robin's friends! what's up?" vance asked. bruce and finney were confused, why didn't he kick their asses unprompted.

"hey vance! the blonde is finney and the tallest one is bruce! they wanted to meet you." robin smiled. vance put his hand out and shook both of their hands.

"you guys want some of my mom's chocolate milk?" vance asked as he opened the door wider. robin ran in and bruce followed behind while making intense eye contact with vance.

finney started walking in before vance snatched his arm tightly.

"so, you and robin, just best friends?" he whispered. finney couldn't even move, he was beyond terrified. "hello? robin talks about you non stop, but insist that you aren't dating." vance's grip tightened.

"i think you're breaking my arm." finney squeaked. vance let him go and apologized before closing the front door. "jesus, uhm yeah, we're dating." finney blushed. he's never really said that.

"oh thank god. at first, i thought i was being mean when i assumed he was gay, but he is!" vance cheered.

"ahah, yeah. oh, can you distract robin this saturday? we're throwing him a surprise party at his house and need him gone from 10 to 12." finney said. vance nodded, looking finney up and down.

"you don't seem his type. robin could talk about the actors in the godfather for way too long. especially young marlon brando. god, he'd let him murder him and-"

"ok vance! thank you." finney smiled sarcastically, holding vance's shoulders. vance nodded and led finney into the kitchen with the others and his mom.

"vance sweetie, you should've said more of your friends were coming, i could've made casserole." his mom sighed.

"sorry, mom. i just met them today also." vance chuckled nervously as he met eyes with bruce, again. "this is finn, and he's bruce. i don't know this kid, must be lost." vance shrugged as he pointed to robin.

"real funny, hopper." robin snickered. vance just smirked.

"i'll make some dinner for you boys! why don't you guys go do some homework, vance is really good at biology." mrs. hopper rambled. they all thanked her and left to vance's dining room.

"your house is nice." bruce said awkwardly. vance's ears slightly turned red, but we're hidden by his hair.

"thanks! i like it too." he chuckled nervously. "you guys want some music?" vance asked, holding up a record. they all nodded and vance immediately turned on play that funky music by wild cherry.

the trio watched vance dance and hum around the room in awe. finney and bruce would've never guessed for this to happen in front of them.

"yeah, they were dancing, and singing and- cmon, join me guys!" vance yelled as he yanked bruce from his chair. they were now both dancing, so finney and robin joined.

"play that funky music, white boy!" they all yelled together followed by laughter. finney and robin were swinging each other around, and vance and bruce were "being groovy"

"you've got some moves, yamada." vance smirked. bruce blushed slightly and stammered a thank you out.

finney and robin looked at the two, then giggled to themselves.

•••

a/n: vance is totally a mama's boy i know it

also, should the next part be molly centered or bruce + vance since it'll probably be filled