27. A Stitch in Time

Please be okay.

I kept praying relentlessly to some unseen entity as I ran through the vaguely familiar streets. I wasn't sure where I was, but somewhere near the Academy. The streets were eerily empty, maybe from public fear due to the attack at the Carnival. 

Why, Zeph?

I could spend lifetimes trying to justify his acts. But was there any point? He was doing the right thing, in his head. And he was way too stubborn to let go. But how would he feel if he knew that the Hawks were being tortured because of him? No way he would want that. How did they even know it was him? Or be so damn convinced? I didn't see any of the origami that he leaves at the places that he strikes. I don't think he would, considering that it would be a clear giveaway as to who was behind it all. 

Strangely enough, while I kept glancing around nervously, waiting for someone to apprehend me, it didn't happen. Maybe they didn't care for me any longer, they had got whatever information they wanted. I cursed under my breath, my stomach knotting. What if the hawks were found? Because of me?

I sped up, panting with each leap. There was no way I would outrun them, was there? Maybe they would find it harder to navigate the underbelly. Maybe, just maybe, I would be on time. 

Just about half a kilometer away from the nest however, I realized how wrong I was. 

A rock slid down my throat. Multiple cars swarming the outside of the warehouse. The Peacekeepers. And soon enough,  a few armed men led a number of people outside in a file. I didn't have to squint to know who they were. 

I was too late. 

I ran over to where the Hawks were standing, each of them handcuffed, their faces pale. Even Zyra had her hands tied, tears streaking down her face. My stomach turned guiltily. 

"How the fuck did you get out?" one of the men said and quickly grabbed my hand. I pushed him away and balled my fists, glaring at the men. 

"You've got the wrong people," I said. "They didn't do anything."

"We haven't left the premises in months," Zia said, her voice trembling but her gaze steady. "We are just trying to live by. We don't even know what the fuck happened at the carnival."

"You'll start talking soon enough," a bulky, bald headed man said, spitting at his feet. "I'm just giving you a chance to come clean. Right now."

"We don't know what you're on about!" Josh said, struggling against his binds. "You can't just fucking arrest us randomly." 

"Under these circumstances, we absolutely can and will," one of the peacekeepers scoffed. "Do you realize what a massive breach of security it was? You are extremely lucky no one died." 

"It wasn't the-" I grunted as I felt a sharp jolt of pain on my shin and immediately crumpled to the ground, my blistered hands on the surface of the road sending tingles of agony up my arm. "What th-?"

"This is not about you. You need to stay in your own lane," one of the men said. "You...you will talk," he addressed Josh, walking over to him and slapping him hard across the face. Zyra started sniffling loudly. The man picked him up by the collar and glared at him. "Talk."

"I don't know," Josh panted as a trickle of blood streamed down his nostril. "I told y-"

The man pushed him away so he crumpled with a dull thud to the ground. He didn't move, his face scrunched up in pain. Jeff spoke up, his voice trembling. "What the fuck do you want from us? You have zero proof that we had anything to do with it."

Another loud smack as the man slapped him as well. 

"Stop trying to pin your incompetence on us," Zia said, her voice oddly firm. "Let us go. This is our city. You're not fucking welcome here."