Dancing Trees and Night

Calm, peaceful, free spirited and happy were the words to describe my state of mind as I strode alongside two others to class that night. If I can remember accurately, it was over 10pm and we had planned to stay the entire night in class. Like every other good day, I was just excited about life and had no special expectations. I wasn't even going for some serious study, I just wanted to be in class and enjoy the cool night outside. We walked the tarred path as I played, sang and danced to my music, everyone else just doing her own thing.

We approached a flowery tree just at a curve to the hall premises and oddly, it felt beautiful than I ever noticed before. The chilly night was a perfect complement and as though it was made to produce only things that made me happy, he emerged from the shadows. His steps, buoyant and stylish like a trained model from birth, was something that always captured my heart, every day, every moment, it just never seemed to get old.

His smile welcomed us as we drew closer and he noticed us. Luckily for the night, he knew the other girls too and he halted as we did. I stood at his right end with my hands shielding my books against my chest. I couldn't help but smile, secretly admiring him in my mind. The funny thing is, I never had butterflies, not once, not even the first day I saw him. But each time I did see him, it was always this immense happiness and peace I felt right to the depth of my soul, like placing ice on a bruise. I always felt happy just seeing him alive and an overdose when I saw him happy. And that's exactly what I felt at that moment.

Nothing special really went through my mind as I had my gaze fixed on him, not sure what to really expect I guess, or not expecting anything at all. And now that I think about it, he probably had a serious inside battle on how he would acknowledge us all at a time, and I guess he resolved to handshakes as he took my friend's hand. Not that I felt even a tiny spec of jealousy that he took hers first, but I had this strange delight when I was next, comfort washing off me instantly. I may sound petty, but I had always felt that he thoroughly disregarded me and always expected to be least acknowledged by him. But that night, that gesture spoke differently. And now that I think about it, it wasn't just that.

***********

The night was mine and for the first time the universe was my friend, as it kept bending events to my favor I would say. The other girl didn't take his hand when he offered and slowly gave a small bow instead. Seeing his hand hanging, I would say my over protective side took over, other than me thinking I found another opportunity to feel his skin again. I gently placed my hand back in his and he gladly took it, smiling as he did. He held a glint of gratitude and gladness in his eyes, and I was relieved he didn't feel embarrassed. It was very typical of my friend to bow in greeting and she did stretch her hand afterward, but I guess it was too late as my hand was already in his and he made no effort to reach out anymore so she gently retreated.

But that's far from the point and  I'll explain. Unexpectedly, I felt his hand rub gently against mine and I was left thoughtless. Whether he did that consciously or not, was hard for me to tell, but I surely never missed out on how really affectionate and free that touch was. Never in a lifetime had I ever expected to feel that soft side of him, and although he dropped it in seconds, but details like that never skipped my registering. And whether or not I was over thinking it, I was certain I felt something.

Two strokes of his skin against mine replays in my head, on and on, till this present day. Like the thumping of the delicate fibre of the heart against the chest, blood flowing through the body to brain. It's left traveling through my entire being.