Stay Wild

It was evening and the sun was starting to set. I was with the boys, we had been at the house all day laughing and making fun out of a boring day without electricity, then we decided to walk towards the classes to power our phones since the school had a special power source.

Anyone who knew the seven boys knew there were a fun group. Picture a world of laughter and wildness, freedom and joy, where people laughed at their highest volumes without a care to give, where girls wore free clothes and men flew their shirts totally unbuttoned, where adults played like kids, picking on passing bike men and kicking bottles in the middle of tarred roads. Picture us, whenever we were on our way to somewhere in full group.

We trooped into one of the large auditoriums, with same energy, same noise. We all plugged our devices and the boys settled into playing video games while I just watched. I wasn't a fan of football in itself, not to speak of the game, but I enjoyed the guys beating each other one after another. The shouts of frustration and victory, laughing at the losers and arguing over the best clubs made up for the boredom. It was fun to be there. I barely paid attention to the times he had to play but just as games go, he won and he lost. I guess a merry go round of victory and loss. It was only fair.

In time, we had to leave. But what was anything at all if I didn't play a prank on him? He had always seemed like a really calm person to be fazed by anything and it felt fun to want to test his patience. While everyone packed up their devices, I sneaked his phone into my bag quietly, acting really natural as I paid attention to someone else pretending to be really engaged in a conversation. I could tell his movement from my peripheral view, and at first, he didn't pay attention as he kept on arguing and talking about their games and stuff.

He froze when he noticed his phone was missing, but it looked like he gave himself some inner pep talk as he relaxed, taking his time to run his eyes through everyone's stuff. I maintained my conversation and made sure to not look behind at him so he wouldn't notice, like I didn't even realize what was going on.

'Lex, my phone dey there?' He Asked one of the guys.

'Your phone? No.'

'How far who see my phone?' He asked a little louder to no one in particular.

When none of the boys gave a positive reply, I guess then he realized he had plugged the phone directly in front of me.

'Have you seen my phone?' he tapped me and I turned around.

'Your phone? Are you even sure I know the one that's yours?' I replied, feigning ignorance the best I could.

'Was it plugged around here?' I pointed on the desk in front of me.

'Yes.' he nodded expectantly.

'No. I haven't.'

I could see sadness wear his expression but he carelessly shrugged his shoulders and began walking away.

Such guts! I would cry if I lost my smartphone in an instant. Permit me to be cheesy but besides being strikingly handsome and having such strong charisma, this dude had guts! I'll tell you more about that.

As we walked out, eventually I gave him his phone and he took it casually, like he knew I had hidden it. I was more totally baffled as he went on to prove the phone incident was nowhere near the peak of his audacity when he made a dare.

Things were getting interesting. Mr man was going to jump down a flight of stairs! If it were something completely vertical, understandable, but we're speaking of a diagonal flight of stairs containing numerous steps made of hard cement! This show was one to watch. I had heard of how really rough and strong that he was but I could never really match the picture to the person neither had I witnessed before. Words even had it that so many people feared to play rough with him because he wasn't just rough, he was brutal. I usually found most of those stories interesting. People avoided that, but in my eyes, it heightened his charm.

Well, he dared everyone to place a certain amount of money and he would jump down the flight of dangerous staircases. Personally, I was a wild one, hanging around seven rough boys wasn't something just any girl could pull off and be cool with, and I was definitely excited to drop the cash and watch him break a leg. His friends were scared as they hesitated putting down the money even if they had it. I saw the chances were low but I really wanted to see him put on the show, so I brought out double of what he asked for. Everyone was shocked and tried to talk him out of it, but I guess he was certain about dying at that moment. Well, boys like fun, so they all consented finally and paved way for him.

Wide eyed and stunned, everyone held their breaths in anticipation. In that moment, it all happened in slow-motion, he retreated a few steps and alighted with full speed, and in two long steps, he flew.

It was like time paused and the earth stopped working, not wanting to process what the outcome of his decision would be. Eager eyes followed him as he slides through the air and landed with a heavy thud. For a moment, everywhere was quiet until he got up and made his way back to the top of the staircase in one piece.

It would be abnormal to not be blown away by such sight. I loved the wild and the free, and every move of his oozed that so much it was hard to not love that boy even more. I couldn't help but withdraw behind them to wear all my admiration all over me without being caught, while they showered him with praises and proud pats at the back. But not after he took his penny though.

'Nice doing business with you.' He had said.

I was lost.