Let The Wars Begin

Let's just call it one of my favorite moments. The beginning of good times when freedom was cheap and hearts were true.

We had all just returned to school after a really long pandemic break, which was actually when he and I got talking properly. Although it had been quite a journey of speaking and not speaking, acquaintances to friends and friends getting awkward, and I was actually expecting really less when we resumed but I guess I was wrong. This was also at the same time when I got familiar with boys, mostly because he hung around them. They all lived together and I hung out with them often. Gradually, they became more like brothers and took me as a fellow brother. Funny, but they took care of me and protected me even when I didn't really find it necessary, they just did.

I was on my way from the school village market that morning and I decided to stop by their place to check in on them, out of habit. Turning into their faded red gate, the first sight I met was quite a shock. He stood tall on the corridor with his attention towards the gate like he had been expecting me.

'Talk of the devil.' I heard him say, which meant they had just spoken about me. But of what? I didn't bother to ask because I felt so awkward and shy and nervous talking to him. Instead, I made my way to Elai, a course mate and also a mutual friend of ours who sat on the corridor before him.

'My love,' I teased.

'My love.'

It was more of a nickname than anything serious, and he stood behind smiling, watching us as we chatted on about absolutely nothing. I was glad he didn't take our conversion seriously because somehow, each time I spoke about love, I may be talking with somebody else but my mind always pointed at him. Only he didn't know that, and who knows if he even cared.

Yinka busted out the door the moment he heard my voice, smiling.

'We were actually speaking of calling you.' He revealed.

'Why? Any problem?'

'We're going to course rep's house to cook yam and egg sauce,' He kept smiling as though he was about to say something ridiculous, and he did! Of course, it was Yinka, or it was one of the boys. They were all the same.

'But we don't know how to make egg sauce.' He busted into laughter, and the others joined in, making fun of themselves and their horrible cooking skills.

Funny. I didn't even believe that one out of seven guys could not make egg sauce. But they sounded convincing and also said they were too hungry to cook so they wanted me to help. I wasn't expert in cooking though, my little secret, but I had the idea. I could just start and pray to God it came out well. I had only one problem, I wasn't dressed to wander far away from my environs. I didn't exactly plan to stay out so I casually put on a short and singlet with a light jacket around my waist.

'I can't go that far like this.' I protested, pointing out my carelessly planned outfit.

'You're perfectly fine.' Moses threw in.

'It's not that far.' Stan added.

'Fine.' I exhaled. 'I hope I get to have my bath there though? I haven't showered since morning.'

'Sure, you can even have my clothes.' Elai said playfully.

I couldn't insist on not going, they were good to me, it was the least I could do for them. And he was around, I could as well stylishly spend time with him for a while, double advantage.

In time, we had hit the road to our destination, as usual, goofing around and playing like kids. At that point, I hadn't known them too well to be used to their lifestyle, especially the crazy side. So I just walked beside them, watching as they teased and roasted each other, laughing loudly on the streets without a care to spare. It was admirable and pleasing watching them being so happy around each other, always a peaceful experience.

But in such a world of chaos and trouble, complete happiness was a fallacy and peace was short-lived right? Yes, I was a victim. I couldn't be let to savor the sight and presence of happy humans because another human decided to pour a whole sachet of water down my entire body. I looked back to see the devil smiling smugly at me. I was vexed, but it was him and he was picking on me, I could do nothing but laugh at the situation but only before I realized I had water in my hands. Playtime.

My laughter transited into a really bright smile which lured him into confusion, and he smiled back, clearly ignorant of what was coming at him. His face contorted as the water hit him with a hard splash and ran down his neck, drenching his collar. He jerked in realization and I dashed away. He followed behind with speed, pumping more water at my back. I made to get away but I was all wet with water already so I decided to take to the fight, stop and face my fears. I opened more water, pumping at him and drenching him best as I could.

It was funny how the others didn't mind us and went far ahead, leaving us in our own little world of aqua war. I used to think love was all cheesy and smooth, but if ever I wanted love, I wanted a love like this.