Chapter 11

Yukio and Ed stepped into the dim orange-tinted light. Professor Harada had thick dark curls, brown eyes, and a slightly lined face. He was grinning charmingly as the two boys approached him.
              Yukio slowed up a few feet from the man, while Ed slowly circled him, "How did you do that?"
              "Isn't it wonderful, Yukio?! I was visited by an angel last night. He said he would grant me the power to heal others as long as I touched as many as possible,"
               His eyes flicked down at Yukio's weapon, and then over his shoulder at Ed. The grin didn't leave his face, "Boys, I'm getting the feeling you didn't come to chat. I'm not a threat—"
               "Professor, you've been tricked! You let a demon in," Yukio snapped.
                Harada laughed, "A demon? Yukio, I've done nothing but good through this power. How could this be the work of a demon?"
                "You're an exorcist. You know as well as I do how crafty demons can be to get their way,"
                "I do know. I know better than you, boy, which is why you should trust me. I would know if I was tricked by a demon, wouldn't I?"
                "Would you?" Ed fired back.
                Harada turned to face him as Ed still paced in a circle around him, "I've seen more than my fair share of demonic activity, Alchemist. See here? This is what I used to look like!"
                He hurled his ID at Ed, who stared down in disbelief at the small picture in the corner, "This is you?"
                The man staring back at him had Harada's thick dark hair, but that was all that was recognizable. His face was a mass of scar tissue and he was missing an ear. "A victim of the Blue Night," the professor explained, "But thanks to Thebes, I am whole again."
                Ed met the eyes of the man in front of him again. His smile had faded to a look of sympathy—a look Ed had always hated. But now no anger seemed to rise in him. It was as if the emotion didn't exist in him anymore. Instead all he felt was a blissful hollowness.
                Harada held out his hand, "I can make you whole, too, Edward."
                Ed opened his mouth, but it had gone dry. "Wouldn't you like your arm and leg back?" Harada asked.
                 "I...I...How did you know—?" Ed rasped out.
                 Harada seemed closer now. Ed wasn't sure if the professor had stepped closer or he himself had. But now he was close enough to be able to take his hand.
                 "Don't do it, Ed!" Yukio cried, but he sounded far away.
                 "Thebes told me everything..."
                 Ed was lifting his hand.
                 "Get away from him!"
                 "Just take my hand and you'll be back to normal,"
                 Normal

                              I could have my arm and leg back

                                       I'll show Al...
                                                                ...and bring him

                    He could get Al's body back—he can do it

                                     Maybe he could make Rin human

                    Bring Al
                               Bring Rin

                         "That's it..."
                     "Don't touch him! Ed, get away from him!"

                                    Bring Al
                                                      Bring Rin
                                                                 Bring Al
                                                                           Bring Rin
                                                                          Bring Rin
                                                                         Bring Rin

                          "LEAVE HIM ALONE!"
                          Bang!
                          The bullet blew apart a good chunk of Haradas face, but instead of muscle and bone, Ed could see another face beneath it, a monstrous, fanged, hollow-eyed face. The next second, the flesh closed back over it. Ed hadn't realized how numb he had been until the horror and anger came flooding back in. Crying out, he instinctively brought his sword hand up, slicing off Haradas outstretched hand. The professor only grumbled with mild annoyance as the appendage dissolved into ash before it even hit the ground and a new hand shaped itself onto his wrist.
                          Ed didn't give him a moments rest, but swung again. This time Harada dodged easily, saying, "Edward, Edward, I thought you wanted to be whole."
                          Ed swung again and again, before jumping back out of range, "I do, but I'd never trust a demon!"
                         "Like I told Yukio, Thebes isn't a demon. He just wants to heal the broken..." Harada sighed, "You'll understand soon, child. But for now, I can't let the two of you delay me."
                        With that he threw up his hands. An intense, hot wind filled the room, throwing Yukio and Ed to the floor. The next second everything was painfully still and silent.
                          And Harada was gone.