7. dearly beloved

georgie 

I heard the boys before I saw them. 

"Why don't we just ask your sister?" After Will's funeral, I'd found myself taking Dustin over to Mike's house with Lucas and being invited in by Mrs. Wheeler. The boys found me in the kitchen not long after I'd sat down with Holly, pulling me into his room. 

"So," Mike said, "you know how in Cosmos, Carl Sagan talks about other dimensions? Like beyond our world?" 

"Yeah, sure. Theoretically." Clark said. 

"Right, theoretically." Mike adds. 

"So, theoretically, how do we travel there?" Lucas asks. 

"Been thinking about Hugh Everett's Many Worlds Interpretation, haven't you?" I hummed, as the boys just stared at me. 

"Well, basically, there are parallel universes. Just like our world, just infinite variations of it. Which means there's a world out there where none of this tragic stuff ever happens." I explained.

"Yeah, that's not what we're talking about." Lucas is quick to interject. 

"Oh." 

"We were thinking more of an evil dimension, like the-" 

"Vale of Shadows?" I spoke as Dustin spoke, quickly catching on. 

"You know the Vale of Shadows?" Dustin asked me.

"An echo of the Material Plane, where necrotic and shadow magic-"

"Yeah, exactly!" Mike jumps in. 

"If that did exist, a place like the Vale of Shadows, how would we travel there?" Mike asked.

"Theoretically." Lucas tossed in. 

"Well," I paused, looking around. I grabbed the piece of paper laying on the table and pulled a pen from my purse, "picture... an acrobat..." I said, drawing a line across the paper horizontally. 

"...standing on a tightrope. The tightrope is our dimension. And our dimension has rules. You can move forwards or backwards." I spoke, drawing it out onto the paper. 

"But, what if there was a flea right next to our acrobat?" The boys watched me closely, "Now, the flea can also travel back and forth, just like our acrobat, yeah?" 

"Yeah." Mike echoed. 

"Here's where things get funky. The flea can also travel this way... along the side of the rope." I drew out against the paper. 

"He can even go underneath the rope." 

"Upside down." The boys murmured. 

"Exactly!" 

"But we're not the flea, we're the acrobat." Mike challenged. 

"In this metaphor, yes, we are the acrobat." I clarified. 

"So, we can't go upside down?" Lucas asked. 

"Nope." I said popping the 'p.'

"Well, is there any way for the acrobat to get to the Upside Down?" Dustin asked, his voice rising. 

"Well," I said, matching his tone in a teasing way, you'd have to create a massive amount of energy. More than humans are currently capable of creating, mind you, to open up some kind of tear in time and space, and then..." I folded the paper in half and puncture a hole with the pen, "create a doorway." 

"Like a gate?" My little brother asked. 

"Yeah, sure. Like a gate." I replied, "again, this is all-"