11. crash and burn

Warnings: mentions of blood, violence

georgie

Joyce left with Hopper to go find Will at the fort. The boys stayed with El, wrapping a towel around her. I walked quickly to the nearest trash can, bending over and emptying the contents of my stomach.

I hadn't seen Nancy sitting on the ground just outside the gym or Jonathan approaching her. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. Blood still trickled from my nose and I grimaced as I wiped it away. 

"Georgie, we need your help." Nancy said. I swung my head toward her. 

"I'm probably no help to anyone right now, Nance." I said, hoping for it to land as a joke. 

"Come on." She persisted. 

"Wait, we can't just leave the kids." I argued. 

"They have El, they'll be fine, let's go!" And that's how we ended up back at the Byers house. We unloaded the gear from the back of Jonathan's car, bringing it into the house. We spent the better part of an hour setting up and laying out traps, tricking out the lights, making weapons. I ignored the looks I kept getting from Nancy and Jonathan when they thought I couldn't see. 

"Alright, remember..."

"Straight into Will's room. And-"

"Don't step on the trap." 

"Wait for the yo-yo to move."

"You guys are so scary." I muttered but compliantly held a knife to my pal. 

"On three?" Jonathan said. We nodded. 

"One... two... you don't have to do this-"

"Jonathan stop talking-" Nancy said. 

"I'm just saying you-"

"Three." I cut them off, slicing into my right palm. Mildly peeved, Nancy wrapped gauze around my hand as something creaked. 

"Did you hear that?" She asked. 

"It's just the wind." I murmured. 

"Don't worry. My mom said when it comes, the lights speak." Jonathan said. 

"Speak?"

"Blink," He clarified, "think of them as... alarms." 

"Is that too tight?" Nancy asked, looking from the gauze to Jonathan? 

"N-no. It's fine." I watched a gross moment happen between the two of them, Nancy's fingers gently brushing across Jonathan's. I held my breath, hoping for this to end soon when a knock scared the shit out of all three of us. 

"Jonathan!" It was Steve. Of course. "Are you there, man? It's... it's Steve!" 

"Oh my god." I groaned. 

"Listen man, I just want to talk!" The pair looked at me as if I had all the answers all of a sudden.

"Georgie, go talk to him." Nancy said. 

"Me?! Why me?" 

"You're his best friend, he'll listen to you!" Jonathan reasoned. I groaned, standing, a pit of dread coiling in my stomach. I opened the door only enough to see my face.

"Steve, listen to me."

"Oh, hey, Georgie what-" 

"You need to leave." I said, firmly. 

"I'm not trying to start anything, okay?" Steve bargained. 

"I know, I'm not worried about that. You have to leave." I replied.