10. we're all monsters in this town

georgie 

I heard the chatter from Dustin's radio only seconds before he called me to as he ran out the door. 

"You're leaving?" I called back with no response. "Yeah, okay. He's leaving." I said to Mews who was seated on my lap. I cranked through about half of my homework before the phone rang. To the best of my ability without knocking Mews from my lap, I stretched for the phone on my nightstand. 

"Residence of one Georgie Henderson, this is Georgie Henderson," and because I am an annoying shit, "to whom may I ask is calling?" 

Jonathan Byers' frantic voice on the other end of the phone had me standing up suddenly in a cold sweat. 

"I'll be right over." I scribbled out a note for my mom, leaving it on the kitchen table. The drive to the Byers' house was a quick one, quicker than law enforcement would've liked, I'm sure. 

When I knocked on the door, Mrs. Byers answered, ushering me inside. Nancy sat beside Jonathan as car headlights flooded the room. Jonathan and Nancy stood.  Moments later, we were back outside and Nancy was running to Mike. 

"Oh my god, Mike! I was so worried about you!" She exclaimed.

"Uh, yeah. Me too." He replied. I spotted Dustin quickly in the group beside Lucas and Chief Hopper.

"Oh, uh, hi," he said, "didn't realize you'd be here." He laughed sheepishly. I rolled my eyes, not saying anything but pulling him into a tight hug. Nancy looked over at El, eyes squinting.

"Is... is that my dress?" 

~
"Okay, so in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster. They're this flee. And this is the Upside Down. Where Will is hiding." Mike explained. I stood behind him, nodding reassuringly every so often when Mrs. Byers, Nancy, and Jonathan would look up at me with wide, doubtful eyes. 

"Georgie said the only way to get there is through a rip of space and time." Mike added.

"They checked with Mr. Clarke too." I mumbled. 

"A gate." Dustin said. 

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." Lucas jumped in.

"With our compasses." Dustin said. The trio on the couch looked dazed, glancing up to me. Dustin also looked back at me, silently asking me to explain. 

"Okay, so the gate has this really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the direction of a compass needle. I take it, these guys figured that out pretty quickly when they're compasses were all wonky." I breathed out a faint laugh. 

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked. 

"Yes." Eleven's soft voice spoke up. 

"Near a large water tank?"

"Yes." Eleven answered. 

"H-how do you know all that?" Dustin asked. 

"He's seen it." Mike realized. 

"Is there any way you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this-" Joyce began.

"In the Upside Down." Eleven interjected. Joyce nodded, echoing the words. Eleven nodded in agreement, confirming the question.