Chapter 21

The sand shifted under the furious fast pace of the unit of four, each Sand shinobi pushing past the loose ground with great skill. The bitter night air threatened to pierce the beige armor they wore but even as they braced the cold, their eyes showed no fault each one more serious than the next. The one in front glared into the distance, his chin to his nose covered in white wraps, darkened blue eyes narrowing as the gust of wind shifting loose sand from the ground and towards them, the attack blasting a sandstorm their way.

The man slowed, their captain of the squad, and brought a kunai up front waiting for the warning to finish, the dark shadow before them retreating the splayed fan and slipping it shut to his side, one of their men. A tense silence between the two sides before the man stepped forward towards his demise it seemed.

Green eyes glinting as he slipped his fan behind him and held the stare of the squad captain. With a sneer tugging the bandages the blue eyed man spoke, a familiarity between the two sides.

"Saku, don't you know it's rude to turn your weapon against your own people" the man mocked barking out a sharp laugh.

"How else would I have stopped you Kenji" Saku spoke quieter, but his voice as even free of his usual stutter.

"Why did you follow our patrol this far out? Aren't you supposed to be guarding the camp?" Kenji crossed his arms, eyes narrowed, knowing though he posed no threat.

"I want in" a simple reply leaving the men baffled.

"You?" Kenji laughed his men behind him snickering along with their leader "Why would you go against the royal family? Aren't you some lost puppy dog who follows Lady Temari around?" the jab at Saku angered him.

"You did to, until she broke your nose" the mock returned with a smirk, Kenji growled and huffed speaking his words through clenched teeth at the memory, the main reason he wore his wraps to hide the crooked scarred nose.

"What do you want out of this anyways aren't you a loyal" The hiss met with a sharp exhale as if Saku needed a moment to steady his thoughts.

"Listen if you're planning to attack after the battle, I'm in" straightening he glared back at Kenji who smirked under the wraps.

"Why now runt?"

"I heard news about a permanent alliance, and I know your little rebels won't like it" He would have smiled at their shocked looks, but he was serious.

"You serious?" Kenji gapped eyes widening and looked back at his men "They won't be happy about hearing that, we can't let the Sand and Leaf become allies again" turning back to Saku he narrowed his eyes suspiciously "How do you know all this anyways?"

"I'm not a loyal, never was" he paused as if he was admitting a secret, which wasn't a very hidden one "I just happened to like her that's all" Saku stammered for a moment rubbing his arm but with the thoughts of what he saw earlier in the day took a breath and straightened furious "The meeting today with their command was found out, they know about the tampered documents, I just happened to hear it from the chatty jinchuriki on their way out of the war room" Kenji tensed blue against green each glaring a warning quietly at another "Listen to the wind Kenji" Actively having heard the blonde mention tampering as they had left the camp, his glare meeting the dark narrowed eyes of the Leaf's command before he quieted the jinchuriki with a harsh whisper.

"What makes you think we'll let you live after telling us this? You have never showed interest in serving directly with us. You some kinda spy Saku?" Kenji raised the kunai to him but stilled when Saku shook his head fists clenched.

"I'm ready now, just like my father did eight years ago I'm ready to take out the Kazekage clan" He paused and inhaled, the memory of his father who had betrayed Rasa with the attack against him, led by Orochimaru. He steadied his words, even and calm, hiding his rage "but under one condition"