Chapter 9

Temari's blood went cold, her heart stopped body tensed and she stared down at the captain forcing her eyes to narrow and clench her jaw, the ultimate form of loathing to hide her worry. They knew about Gaara. Her eyes rose to Shikamaru as he stood casting an impassive look to her and turned to leave for the commanders tent her face hardening wrath burning behind her teals. He knew about Gaara. If things could get any worse, she wouldn't be surprised.

-
Three weeks after the attack on Gaara, the village hidden in the Sand laid in silence, nothing unusual for the people really, as many of the able-bodied shinobi had taken to reinforcing the walls of the city or battling on the fronts. With many of the troops deployed to the borders of Leaf and Rock the main army of Suna still held strong in the village. Their commander was there after all. Temari stood beside Gaara as he read her recent report from the front line and looked up at her.

"Why are you still supplying the Leaf's borders with troops?" he asked having just become known to recent problems since he'd been made, by his sister, to stay and rest for some time. "They haven't bothered us in months" She sighed half in exhaustion and the other in his confusion.

"We've had some small scuffles with their border, but I saw some bigger movement before" she paused looking softly down at her brother, he seemed fine even looked well rested for once but she was worried for him after everything that had happened with the attack "Well what happened" she muttered gently "I'm just taking precautions" Gaara glanced back to the page a small sigh escaping his expressionless face.

"The Leaf should not be our main concern even if they are planning an attack" he mused setting the report down and leaning back in his chair "These Akatsuki are after jinchuriki, they will seek us until they have us all, they will seek Naruto as well" Temari pulled back crossing her arms irritated at the mention of the ones who hurt her brother. She had always been protective of him even when she feared him. Since their return home ten years ago she'd never let anyone dare turn a glare at her remaining family. Temari rose the ranks and surpassed her sensei becoming Suna's commander and second in command at Gaara's side. Before every title she held she always put elder sister first.

"Don't worry they will never come near you again, I'll make sure of it" She glanced back down to see him smile faintly.

"You and Kankuro are too protective" he shook his head lightly

"Well we have to be Gaara" She leaned down wrapping her arms tightly around his shoulders pressing her cheek to his with a wide smile when he stiffened "your our little brother, no matter what" She chuckled and pulled back snickering at his faint blush of embarrassment before heading for the door "That's why I as your eldest sister must be the one to fight in the front, to keep you safe here, you have to recover with Baki here so we'll see you soon"

"Be careful Temari" She turned and flashed him a smirk, softer than the ones she gave to her enemies.

"No need to worry Gaara, you focus on recovering and leave the rest to me and Kankuro" She closed the door behind her and let her smile fall staring into the sandy wall before her, jaw clenched as her lips tuned down with a harsh exhale. They took everything from her, these other nations wanted to take what little she had left, everything but her brothers and she'd die to protect them. As her eyes narrowed, she turned her focus back to the battlefield and left Suna.
-

Temari's teal gaze lowered down to Chikyu who slowly turned to look at her eyes widening in fear, her hazy eyes burning into his, as her lips curled into a ruthless smile.

"Please" he shuddered when she lifted the fan from his chest and draped it over her shoulder digging her foot into his hand and crushing it further into the ground as he cried out.