Digital Nightmare

Nightmares.

They were this thing that everyone has, and nobody wants, particularly if one revealed something about themselves or someone they cared about that they didn't want others to know.

Matt startled away, turning his head to look for Tai, who should have been asleep on the futon near him on their school trip, but there was part of him that wanted Tai to brush the nightmare off as having no meaning, that there was nothing wrong. Yet, the person sleeping in the futon near him wasn't Tai, nor was Tai on the school trip.

Matt sighed, the nightmare that woke him still plaguing him. He stood up, heading out of the room, pondering just how useless adults could be in the grand scheme of themes, let alone how everyone else acted as if nothing had happened when in reality, a whole lot did, in fact, happen.

With a sigh, he headed out, running a hand through his hair, deciding a trip to the bathroom was in order. He stepped out of the room, his flashlight flickering on, his mind numb, as if he still hadn't woken up from the nightmare, with the next dreadful part looming over his head. Given what the nightmare was about, one could say it was true.

He found himself swallowed by the darkness, reminding him of that place in the Digital World—the darkness that tried to swallow him and Sora, only for each of them to pull each other out of the abyss of depression created by coming from broken families, something he didn't think Tai could ever understand, yet at the moment—in the now, neither one could turn to each other, blaming themselves and everyone around them for what happened.

Or perhaps he blamed himself even more so than Sora.

"Ishida-kun?"

Matt startled, turning his head to look at the person, and then, "Jun?"

"What are you doing up this late?"

"I could ask the same."

"Bathroom. You?"

"Nightmare," he said, not thinking twice about what he said. But then he turned his head, wondering if that was the best course of action. "Ah."

"I get it. You don't want to talk about it."

"No, I just don't know how to explain it," he said. Even though her brother was Davis, a Digidestioned, Jun wasn't one and thus was an outsider.

"Does it have anything to do with why Davis and the others disappeared for some time but came back?" Jun asked. "Does it have to do with Tai disappearing around the same time they reappeared?"

"How much as Davis told you?"

"I know about Veemon," Jun said, frowning. "If that's what you're asking."

"Wait? Davis told you? About Digimon?"

"My brother is kind of an idiot," Jun said. "My parents were hoping for a better explanation from him. As for the police—there was no follow-up. The really bizarre thing, though," Jun tensed up, leaning against the wall. "I could have sworn one of the men in suits was our calligraphy teacher, Nishijima sensei, but I didn't get a good look at him."

Matt sighed, knowing quite well their calligraphy teacher could have been with the officers questioning Davis about where he'd been.

"The other funny thing is, I thought Veemon was Tai's Digimon."

Matt startled. "What? No. Veemon was always Davis' Digimon."

Jun turned, frowning at him, obviously disagreeing with him.