Chapter 2

Twilightkit poked her head out of the nursery to see what was going on.

"Where?" Firestar demanded. 

"Near Sky Oak, killed by a fox-trap. It was a female, and she must have had cubs. There was a milk scent on her body." Thornclaw reported.

"Then we must kill them," Firestar announced gravely. 

The leader ordered some warriors to search for the fox cubs, and the apprentices to scout near the camp to keep away the foxes.

"What about us?" Lionkit demanded.

"Yeah, we're almost six moons old!" Hollykit added. Twilightkit walked out of the nursery again. 

"Almost isn't enough," Brambleclaw, their father, meowed. "But you can keep watch in camp, and keep Ferncloud and Daisy safe. They won't be protecting themselves with two tiny kits!" He added. 

She had always been a calm, quiet kit with weird eyes, but Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight had loved her like any other kit. Though other cats did treat her like the other kits, many others teased her about her weird eyes, where one was green, the other blue. 

But that didn't bother Twilightkit. She usually just shrugged it off and ignored them.

Twilightkit nodded, and the deputy turned back to Firestar with a satisfied expression. The patrols left, and she turned away from the entrance, since Brambleclaw was just trying to get the kits out of the way.

"We're in charge!" Lionkit puffed out his chest, looking proud.

"He's just getting us out of the way," Jaykit snapped, echoing Twilightkit's thoughts. She twitched an ear. The three kits were muttering suspiciously in the clearing, heads together. 

Twilightkit walked up to them, brushing Hollykit's flank with her own fur. They jumped, surprised.

"Should we tell her?" Hollykit whispered loudly. 

"We can trust her," Lionkit decided in an instant. "Twilightkit's our littermate."

"Okay," Jaykit agreed. Hollykit was looking like she just caught a huge rabbit.

"We're going to catch the fox cubs for Firestar," She blurted. "They can't be much bigger than us, and he'll have to make us apprentices. Do you want to come with us?"

Twilightkit shook her head. She had a bad feeling about this plan. 

"You won't tell?" Jaykit narrowed his sightless blue eyes. She nodded, and the three relaxed. 

"Let's go fox hunting!"