Chapter 14

"I am pleased to know that you are getting so much out of a piece of land prey-poor in ThunderClan standards," Firestar stared levelly into Blackstar's amber eyes. Yowls of approval sounded from the ThunderClan cats.

Then he turned his green gaze towards the gathered cats. 

"ThunderClan is fortunate to have more than one new apprentice," Firestar announced. "Jaypaw couldn't come tonight, but Hollypaw is here, as well as Lionpaw. And Twilightpaw."

Hollypaw's eyes gleamed from the shadows like bright stars, and Lionpaw puffed out his chest proudly. Twilightpaw curled her black-tipped tail neatly around her body, her calm gaze rested on Firestar. 

"We are lucky that prey still runs plentifully in the forest, and the frost is melting away." He continued. 

Suddenly, an unfamiliar scent washed over Twilightpaw, and she lifted her muzzle to smell it. The bracken fronds crackled, and she walked cautiously around the stiffened outlines of wary cats, trying to get a better view of what was going on. Firestar stopped talking as two shapes emerged into the clearing.

"Intruders!" The word spread like wildfire, and soon, the WindClan cats, who were closest to the strange cats, unsheathed their claws and the ShadowClan cats hissed threateningly. Firestar sniffed the air, then tensed. He tasted the air again, and his orange tail fell stiff and still in shock.

"Stop!" Firestar yowled, and everyone fell silent as he leaped down from the Great Oak. He pushed his way towards the two intruders. The ThunderClan leader's eyes went wide in disbelief as he got a clearer view of the cats. 

"Graystripe?" Firestar choked out.