Chapter 82

"Twilightpaw!" Hollypaw was the first one to rush forward, purring. 

"We all thought you were dead!" Lionpaw added. "But you're here!"

"I told you she was alive." Jaypaw's tail lashed with annoyance, though his blind blue gaze was filled with relief. "But of course no one listened to me."

"Twilightpaw!" Squirrelflight purred. "Don't you ever run away again! You've scared me and the entire clan to death!"

"Who's this?" Brambleclaw pushed forward towards Shade, growling.

"I'm Shade." The young tom dipped his head respectfully. "I traveled with Twilightpaw until she went up the mountains, and I'm going to travel to the lake with her."

"You went to the mountains?" Lionpaw blurted. "We're going to go and rescue the Tribe cats!"

I don't think they want help, Twilightpaw thought silently. She remembered Pebble's terrified eyes as she recalled the fight with rogues. At least, some of them don't.

Talon and Night gaped at her with wide eyes. "Twilightpaw? What are you doing here?"

"Escaped." Twilightpaw glanced at the rest of the group, which hung at the back. Stormfur and Brook had stepped back for her to greet her parents and littermates. Tawnypelt, the tortoiseshell ShadowClan queen, stood with two WindClan cats; Crowfeather and Breezepaw. She dipped her head in a polite greeting. 

"Escape?" Squirrelflight's eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. "But the Tribe wouldn't keep you prisoner! They were kind enough to give us a place to rest on the way to the lake, during the Great Journey..."

"I seem to remember that they also held a certain RiverClan warrior hostage because of their stupid little 'prophecy'!" Crowfeather growled. Stormfur blinked at him, but didn't say anything. Twilightpaw tilted his head, slightly curious about the WindClan tom's anger. 

"We'll be heading towards the mountains soon." Brambleclaw broke the awkward silence. "Let's hunt and rest for a bit, and we can carry on. Twilightpaw, do you want to come with us?"

Twilightpaw shook her head, remembering Stoneteller's crazed glare as he forbade her to leave the cave. Shade pressed against her, his warm fur making her relax. Hollypaw looked at her with wide eyes.

"At least stay and eat with us?" She pleaded. "We missed you a lot. Leafpool's worried about you." 

Twilightpaw hesitated, glancing at Shade. She didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable. 

"Don't worry. I'll just hang around in the forest until you finish mingling with your friends," He meowed. "Really. Don't worry about me."

Twilightpaw could see that he didn't really want to be alone. And the wind was tugging at her paws, urging her to go back to the lake.

Home.

"See you soon," She mewed, turning away from the group.