Chapter 33

Twilightpaw carefully picked up the feather and pushed it out of the den, and poked the poppyseed back inside the dried poppy. She then rushed back to Poppypaw, and saw that Jaypaw was muttering in his sleep.

"...come...back," He whispered, and suddenly fell still. Twilightpaw frantically nudged her brother until Jaypaw finally opened his jay-feather blue eyes.

"Alright, alright, I'm awake," He grumbled, and peered over at Poppypaw. She seemed calmer, her breathing steady and less desperate. Just then, Leafpool emerged from the darkness of the bramble barrier, her mouth filled with catmint.

"Jaypaw! Twilightpaw!" She dropped the large bundle of the precious healing herb. "Mothwing gave us all enough catmint to give to all the sick cats. She had a big supply of catmint, and she would have given us sooner if she had known."

Jaypaw snorted.

"Well, enough chatter. Twilightpaw, give Ferncloud and Whitewing a bit of catmint. I need to check on Poppypaw and Mousefur," Leafpool continued, giving Jaypaw a quizzical look. Twilightpaw sniffed the fragrant catmint and picked up a few leaves gently in her teeth.  She padded over to Ferncloud and pushed a bit of the herb under her nose.

"Thank you, dear," The gray-speckled queen croaked before licking up the precious leaves slowly. Twilightpaw rested her tail on her for a moment for comfort, then moved on to Whitewing. The young warrior was still asleep, and heat still rose from her white pelt. 

Twilightpaw nudged the white she-cat awake and shoved a pawful of catmint gently in front of her. 

"Did the others get any?" Whitewing asked, her green eyes flashing with pain and worry. Twilightpaw nodded as she watched Leafpool sniff at Mousefur's flank. The warrior let out a sigh of relief as she chewed on the delicious green stems. 

"Twilightpaw. Jaypaw." Twilightpaw looked around to see Sorreltail sitting besides Poppypaw. 

"Are you sick too?" Jaypaw nosed the tortoiseshell she-cat's red-black pelt. 

"No. I don't know how, but I know you two helped Poppypaw survive the night," The warrior almost sobbed. "Thank you." 

Twilightpaw looked on as Honeypaw emerged from the entrance and guided her mother out the den with her pale golden tail. 

For the first time in moons, she felt a tingle of pride spread through her body as if she had just swallowed a mouthful of milk.