Chapter 52

Twilightpaw dragged the rabbit towards the camp entrance, its size and weight slowing her down. Its blood tasted salty and delicious on her tongue. 

"Wow, great catch!" Hazelpaw exclaimed as she bounded out of the camp. 

"Nice rabbit," Dustpelt, her mentor, sniffed at Twilightpaw's catch. "That'll feed the elders and queens. I think Mousefur will enjoy it very much."

"Did you catch that?" Whitewing asked, who was guarding the camp entrance. Twilightpaw nodded, the fresh-kill still in her mouth. "That's fantastic! You should be a warrior."

Twilightpaw dipped her head at the warrior and slipped through the camp entrance. 

Leafpool barged right into her.

"Twilightpaw! There you are! Where were you?" She scolded, not noticing the rabbit in her jaws. 

"Hunting." Twilightpaw replied, setting her catch down in front of her. 

"You caught that?" Leafpool's eyes glowed as she purred. "That's quite a catch for one so small."

"I smell rabbit," Jaypaw padded up to her, and he bent down, his whiskers twitching as he felt how big it was. "It's big."

"Twilightpaw caught it," Leafpool explained. "It's very plump."

Twilightpaw picked the rabbit back up and padded towards the nursery. She slipped inside, and saw Foxkit and Icekit pouncing on Ferncloud's tail. 

"Leave your mother alone," Daisy scolded. "You'll claw her tail off."

"Hi, Twilightpaw!" Icekit squeaked. "Is that for us? Did Dustpelt catch it?"

Twilightpaw set the rabbit down and split it in half.

"Share it with Ferncloud and Daisy," She murmured before picking the remaining pieces up and padding out the den.

"Thanks, Twilightpaw!" Daisy called. Twilightpaw entered the elder's den, where Mousefur was snoring softly. 

"Hi," Longtail tasted the air. "Did you bring fresh-kill?"

Twilightpaw nodded, before remembering that the tom was blind. "Yes."

"It smells delicious," He continued. "Who caught such rabbit in the beginning of leaf-bare?"

"I did," Twilightpaw answered, pushing two rabbit legs in front of him. 

"You did?" Longtail's fur prickled with surprise. "Well. Mousefur, Twilightpaw caught us this delicious rabbit."

Twilightpaw dipped her head and padded out the den, proud at last that she could do something right.