Chapter 55

"Twilightpaw!" Leafpool's frantic mew startled her awake. Twilightpaw was in her nest in the medicine den, with Jaypaw and Leafpool looking worriedly at her. 

"Why do these things keep happening?" The apprentice's mentor let out a sigh as she felt Twilighpaw's side for fever. "These seizures...they're not natural."

"She seems fine," Jaypaw sniffed her head. "No fever, choking, coughing or wheezing. I think they just happen when she...sees something."

Twilightpaw stiffened. Did her snoopy littermate find out about her secret?

"No visions, Twilightpaw?" Leafpool asked. She shook her head. 

"Well, if you're sure you're fine, I guess you can wrap this honey Berrynose has kindly retrieved for us."

Twilightpaw nodded, shaking out her pelt so that the moss that clung to her fur fell to the ground, and nosed through the cracks to find some laurel leaves. She emerged from the herb store holding a laurel and beech leaf, with a strip of bark.

Twilightpaw wrapped the piece of honey in the large leaves, but her mind was on what Yellowfang had told her before she had waken in the ancient world. 

You will find your answers in the mountains.

She nudged the leaf parcel towards Leafpool. Twilightpaw had decided on what to do.

I'll sneak out of camp and meet the Tribe of Rushing Water at dusk!

Twilightpaw listened to Leafpool's gentle snores and Jaypaw's whispered murmurs. She rummaged quietly through her moss to find the leaf wrap of traveling herbs that she had made earlier on. She quickly licked the sorrel, daisy, chamomile, and burnet. 

It was dusk, and most of the warriors had gone to sleep. Whitewing and Dustpelt were guarding the entrance. 

Looks like I'll sneak out through the dirtplace, The calico she-cat wrinkled her nose at the thought. She crept out the medicine den, pausing at the base of Highledge. She pricked her ears to hear what Whitewing and Dustpelt were doing; nothing. They were gazing out of camp, snapping their heads to the direction of any branch cracking and leaf falling. 

Twilightpaw scooted into the shadows, and padded silently over to the dirtplace tunnel. She slipped inside, holding her breath, and squeezed through the opening that led to the forest. She rolled in a patch of dead leaves, their musky scent drowning out the odor of the dirtplace and her ThunderClan smell. 

I'm on the way, Twilightpaw promised, gazing at the moon that shone brightly in the star-speckled night as the sun slowly slipped out of the sky. 

I'm coming to the mountains, Twilight Sky.