Chapter 75

"It's time to eat now," Pebble called. "Come on! You can share with me."

Twilightpaw hurried after the pale gray to-be, and followed her to the fresh-kill pile. Pebble picked out a plump vole, and Twilightpaw took a small mouse for herself. 

"You take a bite out of the mouse, I take a bite of the vole, and then we switch," Pebble mewed. Twilightpaw ripped a small chunk of meat from the mouse, and pushed it towards the gray she-cat. She then took a bite from the vole. 

After they'd finished their meal, Twilightpaw followed Pebble to an area with shallow scoops in the stone ground, filled with soft downy feathers. 

"You can sleep here," Pebble nodded to a small nest. "You'll need plenty of rest after such a long journey. And tomorrow Stoneteller will keep you pretty busy."

The calico apprentice nodded wearily, and curled up in the soft nest. Not bad.

She closed her eyes, and almost immediately fell to sleep.

"You're here at last." Twilightpaw turned to see a scarred dark gray tom behind her, staring at her with piercing amber eyes. She could see endless bare stone peaks, but her nose twitched as she smelled prey. 

This must be the Tribe of Rushing Water, Twilightpaw guessed. 

"I am Jagged Peak where Heron Sits," He continued. "The tribe will need you to stay for a while."

Twilightpaw blinked. She knew that she'd been called to the mountains, but the calico apprentice had only gone to find out more about her past. 

Or what the prophecy means, She thought. Why's Jaypaw in the ancient times, but not Lionpaw or Hollypaw?

"Ah, the prophecy." A new cat bounded over, her pelt so faint Twilightpaw could see right through her. She stiffened as she recognized the dark pelt. Dark Whiskers?

"Hello, Twilight Sky," Dark Whiskers purred. "I know you have come for answers of the Three, but this is not the time to think about your littermates. 

"A time of blood and death has greeted the Tribe, and a cat with the eyes of forest and sky will come to light the path of help."