Chapter 71

Twilightpaw collapsed onto its soft feathers, tasting blood in her mouth. She was glad she'd landed on feathers rather than the hard forest floor.

Or stone... She shivered as she remembered the long fall that had made her so weak in the mountains. 

"Twilight Sky! What were you thinking?" Half Moon snarled, stepping over brown-and-gray wings to reach her littermate. "You could have been killed!"

Twilightpaw licked the pale she-cat's head, feeling her tremble at the thought of losing another sister. She swept her tail elegantly around the fallen rabbit, which had not been as lucky as her; the fresh-kill was now a bloody mess of fur, though still intact. 

"You might have caught that hawk, and earned a rabbit, but what if you'd died?" Half Moon looked down at the fresh-kill. Twilightpaw shrugged, pulling the hawk closer. She gathered the fallen feathers and picked them up along with the hawk. She placed the rabbit on one of its wings, and dragged her haul towards the camp.

"Are you not listening?" Half Moon stood in her way. Twilightpaw dropped her fresh-kill. "Don't risk your life again, alright? I don't want to lose another littermate! And I'm sure Rising Moon wouldn't like that, either."

Twilightpaw snorted at the thought of her mother being devastated over her death. She didn't even care about her remaining two kits. 

Half Moon sighed, and picked up her mouse. "Let's just get back. There's enough to feed the leftovers to the elders."

Twilightpaw grabbed the hawk in her jaws again, and they set off towards camp, praying that she'd wake up soon. 

The Tribe need me now, more than you do, Half Moon.