Chapter 1: Stele

"MELODY!" I flinched hearing the shouting. I turned around and saw Natalie, the manager of the cafeteria I worked at, with her arms folded in front of her chest, a serious expression on her face as she was tapping her foot rapidly against the floor.

"Hey boss..." I said waving nervously while offering a small smile. The woman gave out a scoff while rolling her eyes, clearly not impressed or touched by my greeting.

"Do you know what time is it?" She asked me. I shook my head in confusion. I was just practicing with my guitar during my lunch break and I didn't pay too much attention to my phone to look at the clock. "It's 2:20 p.m. Your lunch break finished 20 minutes ago." She informed me. My eyes widened in shock as I quickly grabbed my phone and looked at the clock to see the time the manager informed me of. Great.

I stood up quickly and looked at Natalie. "I'm so sorry, boss. I was practicing with my guitar and..." Before I could finish I heard a loud sigh and saw the manager rubbing her face in frustration.

"Melody." She called and I looked at her quietly. "I know you have talent and it's not a secret you want to be a singer one day. But right now I need a waitress not a singer, so you better get your ass out there and do your job or else I will be forced to fire you." Natalie warned in a strict tone and I nodded.

"Yes, ma'am." I said as I put my guitar down and walked inside the cafeteria. I put my apron around my waist, got my notepad and pen and walked around the tables taking the customers' orders.

"Alright. 3 hot teas, two banana cheesecakes, 4 coffees and 1 cupcake." I said to my coworker as I placed my notepad on the counter.

He nodded and turned to make the coffee as I got my back pack and searched for my other notepad in which I was writing my songs.

"You know, boss is giving you a really intense glare." My coworker, Liam, said giving me a small smirk while nodding behind me. I turned to look back and saw Natalie siting at a table, all alone while eyeing me like a eagle. Great. Just what I was wanting for today.

I turned back to Liam and sighed as he watched me curiously. "I was in my lunch break practicing when she came and said I was 20 minutes late." I said as I rolled my eyes and leaned my head in my hand.

"So you pissed her off. Great. I didn't know you wanted to die so young." Liam joked as he turned to make the coffee.

"I don't. But I can't say the same about her. She looks at me like she is about to strangle me." I whispered just for him to hear. A chuckle left his lips as he put the coffees on a tray and put it in front of me.

"Well, better not give her more reasons to do it. The coffees are ready." He informed me like the tray with the drinks wasn't right in front of my eyes.

I sighed and took the tray. "Yeah. I will try." I said as I turned and started to walk to the customers.

I gave the orders and then returned to Liam to take the rest of them. After I placed the last cheesecake, I turned around and sighed.

"Well, this was the last customer for now." I said as Liam looked at me, a knowing smile on his face.

"You sure?" He said and I looked at him confused. He noticed my face and pointed behind me. Ugh, what was it now?

"Got any free place for another customer?" I heard a familiar voice and when I turned around I saw my favorite nerd.

"Simon." I said smiling as I gave him an hug.

"Hey, Big Red." He said smiling wide as we pulled from the hug.

"What are you doing here?" I asked while putting my hands on my hips.