Chapter 19: Savings and distractions

Since Melody had to go through another examination made by Magnus to make sure she was well healed, Alec had to leave her with the warlock and return back to the Institute. Of course, he had to give some explanation, and the first to ask about them was no one other than his sister.

"Hey, how is Melody?" Izzy asked as she followed her brother.

"She woke up. Magnus is making the last check up on her to make sure her wounds won't open up." Alec said as she walked around the Institute. "Where is Jace? I need to talk with him." Alec asked. Ever since he had that talk with Melody he wanted to make some things sure between him and his parabatai. 

"I thought he was with you. You both were at Magnus's apartment." Izzy said confused. Alec furrowed his eyebrows at her statement, realizing the blonde left the apartment, but didn't return to the Institute.

"Great. Just great." He sighed frustrated. He could try to locate him, but due to the fact he didn't sleep that much, he was willing to let Jace call him if he was needed.

"Are you alright?" Izzy's voice stopped him as she looked at him. "You look exhausted." She said putting her hand on his forehead. 

Alec sighed once again. "I didn't get too much sleep last night. I just couldn't. Seeing Melody like that." Alec said recalling the state the red head was in. He felt Izzy's hand cupping one of his cheeks and he looked at her to see the pity in them. "I couldn't allow myself to be careless once again. And I know I screw everything up and I did a big state." He sighed and then chuckled bitterly. "The worst part is that she doesn't even blame me. She didn't scold me or anything, and said it wasn't my fault." 

"Because it's not." Izzy agreed as she rubbed his cheek. Alec hummed as he put his hand over hers. 

"She almost died, Iz." He said quietly.

"But she didn't. You didn't let it happen. And now she is alright." Izzy assured. Alec nodded as he took her hand away from him and turned towards the monitors. The guilt was still eating him from inside and somehow only Melody's words were able to calm him down in this situation. To Alec at that moment, Izzy's words were like what he just what he wanted to hear, while Melody's were the words he needed to hear.

His phone was the one who caught both of their attention. "Melody?" Izzy asked wanting to see the girl, but her brother shook his head.

"Jace." Alec announced. "He needs us at the police station." He informed and both of them got their weapons making their ways towards the exit.

An hour later Jace and Clary informed them about the cup and the situation they were in. They have to get a permission card from a police officer and right at the reception was their target.

"I guess you are the distraction?" Alec asked as he looked at the woman that was sitting at the reception. 

"Nope. I decided to grow up, remember?" She asked smirking. "No more distracting for me. Besides, I don't think I am her type." Izzy said amused as she looked at the woman.

"Oh crap." Alec groaned as he looked at the woman. He wasn't good at talking with people or getting along with them. 

"Don't worry. It's good practice." Izzy said getting a hum from her brother. "You know, for when you finally decide to ask Melody out." She said smirking suggestively.

Alec tensed at the mention of the girl and sighed. Suddenly Izzy started to fix his outfit surprising him. "What are you doing?" He asked confused as he tried to pry her hands off him.

"Undoing your shirt what do you think?" Izzy asked as she was fighting her brother.

"Enough." Alec said sternly as he finally got out of her grip. "Izzy this is not my department." Alec sighed tiredly.