Chapter 56

Shen Chen's mother interrupts before he could answer himself, "don't worry Youyou, the doctor has said that he'd be able to leave the bed in a month, and there will be no long term damage, so don't worry that in the future he..."

Shen Chen's veins bulge and twitch, "mom!"

Du You "?"

The mother turns slightly hesitant before telling them, "right, I'll leave you two to it. It sure was tiring for these old bones to take care of Chenchen for a whole day," she says, pressing on her arms, "I'll go out for a walk."

Then she walks outside, but not before discreetly gesturing to her son with a big thumbs-up.

--There's the opportunity, now it's up to you.

"..."

Shen Chen watches her leave, speechless, before lightly clearing his throat, and turning to Du You, "did you need something?"

There's only the two of them there now with the door closed.

Du You puts the present onto the table and sits down, "I've caught the culprit."

He briefly goes over the event and concludes to him, that the person who caused the chain of car accidents was actually just a werewolf completely out of touch with this world.

Shen Chen furrows his brows, "werewolf?"

The surveillance camera footage only captured a blur.

Something that can freely traverse flowing traffic is obviously nonhuman, though that doesn't mean Shen Chen wouldn't get surprised when he is personally informed of the existence of such monsters that only existed in fantasy stories.

Du You nods, "I've restrained him for now, and I'll supervise him before Xiao Tiantian is dealt with."

Shen Chen, after a brief pause, asks, "what about you?"

"Huh?"

"Since you can catch a werewolf, you must be even stronger than it. Can you tell me about yourself?"

Ever since he became aware that Du You was from another world, Shen Chen had wanted to learn more about him. Finally, he gets the question out.

The room falls silent, save for the sound of the central heating. In the vase on the bedside table, a red petal falls lightly onto the carpet below.

It is making Shen Chen a bit awkwardly embarrassed. He might have asked something he shouldn't have.

But, with a calm face, he continues, "you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Du You tells him, "you'll be frightened if you knew."

Shen Chen seems somewhat shocked.

"I don't want to make you scared of me," Du You continues, "I will only ever be human in front of you."

So he himself really was nonhuman as well.

Shen Chen looks away, "I would not fear you no matter who, or what, you are."

Du You is surprised by the answer, then, Shen Chen continues, "if you really didn't want to say, I wouldn't force you either... It's not like I really wanted to know anyway."

I see.

Du You understands now. It's probably small talk. He should thank him though, for not pressing the issue.

"Thanks."

Shen Chen lifts up his chin, "no need."

In all honesty, though, he didn't understand at all what Du You was thanking him for, nor did he understand why he had to add that unnecessary part at the end.