Chapter 74 (A & B)

Shen Chen couldn’t say anything.

Even if his mind is screaming, telling him to reply, to apologise, to tell him what he truly thought.

But, in reality, he is still silent, quietly staring at Du You.

Just then, was it- Was it a smile he just saw on Du You?! “I enjoyed today’s dinner very much.”

Shen Chen has never seen Du You smile, at least, not once in his memories. Yet, that smile made him feel as if his heart was squeezed. It hurts.

Du You looks outside the window.

“It’s raining.”

Some clouds have moved over and obscured the beautiful moon, making the city sink into the darkness even more. Tiny raindrops start to line up about the transparent window, leaving behind trail after trail of tears.

Du You looks back at Shen Chen, “are you done?”

Shen Chen is quiet for a bit before getting up, “let’s go.”

They get onto the elevator, going down.

The driver has been waiting since he got the message outside the elevator. He has an umbrella in his hand, and tells them.

“Mr. Shen, apologies, there was only one in the trunk.”

The nearby convenience store happens to be closed. It would take up to 20 minutes to buy a new one at this point. The driver himself would be fine with a raincoat, but he cannot let his boss and his client out into the rain.

“Then…” He understands his boss’ expression now, and tells Du You, “Mr. Du, I’ll escort you onto the car first.”

Du You glances back at Shen Chen.

He is crossing his arms, “go.”

Du You gets back onto the car with the driver first, then the driver goes back to escort his boss, who arrives soon after.

One of them is sitting at the back, the other at the front; one in the backseats, one in the passenger’s seat.

The car is on the road now, and the rain is getting heavier, smacking onto the roof of the car. It is the only noise in the otherwise silent vehicle.

Shen Chen is looking at Du You through the rearview mirror. He sees him looking outside the window with a nonchalant expression as always.

“…”

He feels like he should say something.

He has to say something.

There is still at least an hour thanks to the rain and subsequent traffic. If he doesn’t do anything to mend this, he might never will.

Shen Chen’s hands on his legs are gripping and loosening again and again. He is restless.

But, even after the driver has entered the quiet, upper-class neighbourhood, and the car is coming to a stop, he has yet to utter a single word. He couldn’t even say a simple apology.

Du You is about to open the car door now, but then he hears someone saying, “please wait a moment.”

It’s the driver, he has turned around to say with a smile, “Mr. Du, please take the umbrella with you. The rain is quite heavy.”

Although it’s only a dozen metres or so from his front door, it’s quite enough to drench someone fully. Meanwhile, he can drive directly into the garage of Mr. Shen’s home, so he wouldn’t need to worry about the rain.

Du You thanks him, “thanks.”

He gets off the car, and the door then slams shut.

Shen Chen has not looked behind even once.