Chapter 26: Mason Ohara

Okay, so maybe it's not fucking having a crush on her, but I certainly don't love her. I'm not in love with her. I can't be. There's no fucking way I'm in love with her. No fucking way.

"Are we working or what?"

Carbon and Slasher glance at each other, clearly getting the message that I'm done talking about my love life with them.

Thankfully, for the rest of my shift, the three of us work in silence unless we have a work-related question. Alpha comes in to check on us about once every two hours to make sure that we've got everything handled and we don't need a break. 

And while Slasher and Carbon have taken theirs, Tank and Scout replacing them, I don't. It keeps my mind off the fact that Piper is catering to a bunch of drunk fucking dickheads right about now. 

It's nine at night, what else would she be doing? I'm sure not all of them are drunk fucking dickheads, but I'm sure a major portion of them are, and I can't think about it or I won't be able to concentrate on anything else besides getting her out of that fucking bar for that sake of my own sanity.

"Bullet, take a break."

I turn around to see Reaper standing behind me, a coffee cup in one hand and a protein bar in the other.

"No, I can't."

"Why not?"

"Piper."

"What does Piper have to do with it?"

Before he met Fiona, he wouldn't care enough to ask a question about my feelings or whatever I said. I mean, he probably wouldn't be paying any fucking attention to what I was saying in the first place.

"Piper has everything to do with it. She's at work in that stupid ass bar, dealing with shitty people, and we could be together watching a Christmas Hallmark movie because it's fucking December!"

He stands there stunned. His eyes are wide, his shoulders stiff.

"Oh my god, they were right. You really do love her."

"I don't want to fucking think about her in there because then I know I'm going to fucking lose my shit, grab her, and never let her go back, effectively pissing her the fuck off. And I don't want to do that because she's everything to me, and what if she didn't want to fucking talk to me again!?"

"Bullet, take a second. Please, you're going fucking bananas."

Doing as Reaper says, I take a long and deep breath.

He sits beside me, placing the coffee and protein bar in front of me.

"Eat while I talk."

I nod my head in reply and rip open the plastic wrapper.

"Before you panic again, I know the place she works. Poison, Whiskey, and I all checked it out because we felt that MC members with romantic partners would understand that situation rather than someone who isn't concerned with a partner right now."

"What do you think about it?"

"I will agree with you that it's not the best place to work. It's not the safest area, but it could be worse. We talked to the owners and managers and they take their worker's safety very seriously, more now that we've stopped by. I can't say that she's going to avoid all douchebags, but it's highly unlikely that anything will happen to her there."

"But it's not impossible."

"No, but we take that risk every time we walk out of our houses. I am constantly worrying for my wife and my child, but we can't hold them back. I love them more than anything in this world, and even though it stresses me out to leave them, I know that it's in our best interest that we don't control others."