Chapter 8

Bombs, gunfire and screams of pain were going off in the distance. It was midnight, so it was still dark out and it was cold, the gunfire looked like lightning from afar. It was impossible to get sleep knowing that if you close your eyes you might never open them again. We wanted to make a fire, but we knew that the smoke might lead enemies to us and kill every single one of us.

My leg was in agonizing pain trying to save Jerry, but every time I felt that sharp pain I knew that I tried, but in failure I got an even more shattered leg in return. Claire comes up to me as I wince in pain. "You okay?" she asked in a worried but calming voice. "Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. She takes a seat next to me and leans her head on my shoulder. I sigh and the pain slowly slips away somehow and I don't know how, but I feel stronger and braver than I have ever felt before, but when she lifts her head I feel weak and scared.

We sat there for what seemed like hours, watching the sun rise over the horizon. I wished that that time would have never ended, but all good things must come to an end. Gunshots were going off all night long, men screaming in pain yelling,  "medic!" Bombs explode as their yelling turns into deathly screams then eventually die out. Moments later I heard a scream that said, "Please somebody help!"

  "That voice, I know that voice." I whispered to myself. "What?" asked Claire with a confused face. "Did you hear that cry for help?"

  "No, I didn't, sorry."

  "Help!" that time she heard it her eyes widened as she said, "oh my God!" We tried to follow the cry for help, but after a while it stopped. We searched all day hoping to hear it again. "We should go back." said Claire, grabbing my hand. I turned around, looked her in the eyes and said, "I'm not giving up, that scream, it sounded like Jerry's."  Her eyes widened with confusion. "But he died, we saw him die!"

"I know, but you gotta believe me, I know what I heard, I know my brother's scream when I hear it." She finally stops arguing with me and we keep moving forward. After some time we stumbled across a valley, there were trees surrounding it. We entered the gloomy forest and not far into it we heard a branch crack in the distance.

The footsteps sounded like he or she was limping and was struggling to stay upon their feet. "Who's there?" I asked calmly. "Show yourself!" My heart was racing at this point, I didn't know who or what was going to leap out from the darkness and slit our throats. I was looking all around us to make sure that that didn't happen, when I saw someone hiding behind a bush or tree. It was really dark out, so I couldn't see very well, but I could tell that they were frightened and clueless of what the hell was going on.

I grabbed my flashlight out and I shine it towards their direction. It was a girl, she had long black hair and a scar running down her neck, she squinted and covered the bright light with her hand. I walked closer to her and she gasped and tried to run away. "Wait!" I told her. "We won't hurt you!" She stopped where she was and we caught up to her. "Can you tell us your name?"
  She hesitated, but spoke in a strong voice and said, "Ariana."

On the way to the place we were staying temporarily, I already knew that it was not Ariana who cried out in pain, the reason was because it was a man's voice and deep down I still believe that it sounded a lot like Jerry's.