1

Kiara's pov

Over a year later

"In and out, right?" I asked as we pulled up to the event. 

A ball - or something - that I have been invited to.

Which is odd because I'm not the leader of the gang, not yet at least.

"That's what she said," Kavin, my foolish brother, joked.  "But yes, in and out,"

"I wonder why they invited me," I sighed, tapping my fingertips on the car door as Kavin put the vehicle in park.

"I don't know.  Do you think it has something to do with your plan to kill Mister Genovese?" He asked, referring to our boss.

That's how things in a gang worked, especially in New York.

If you want to make your way to the top, the easiest and practically only available option is killing people that are in your way.

"I hope so.  These people could be incredibly helpful," I admitted, taking a deep breath before opening the car door, "Wish me luck,"

"I don't need to," My brother reassured, "You got this, Kiara,"

I didn't respond besides giving him a grin before shutting the door.

I adjusted my dress, a dark red, body fitting, plunging neckline with hardly anything to cover my back.

I figured it was appropriate for the occasion.  Who knew what I'd be getting myself into.

I never really knew, to be honest.  Everything was just me making smart, on-the-spot choices.

Except my plan to kill the boss of the gang my grandfather ran. We were let into this life quite easily, after being with Colby and given our family's choice of profession.

But nothing was easy since.

Mister Genovese, a confusing man who was maybe only in his mid thirties and mildly attractive, made it very clear to my brother and I that he didn't trust us just because we were his former boss's grandkids, who was a man people feared.

After I shot Colby in Florida, I managed to get the quickest flight to JFK Airport in Queens, which was only about two hours of waiting for.

Once I was there, I found my brother and after some brainstorming, Kavin remembered him mentioning a chain of casinos Grandpa owned up in New York City.

So after some digging and batting of the eyes, I managed to one night-stand my way into the gang, finally finding Genovese after one of his idiot friends brought me to one of their parties.

I managed to explain to him what I knew while I was in California in a very brief summary, lacking any details Colby would not want me to share.

Even though I shot him in Florida I did not want any of his friends coming to find me for revenge since I ratted them out.

And killed their boss.  That too.

I tried not to think about it, hoped that maybe something happened and a twist of fate meant that Colby was alive.

I hated him, was angry with him and I forever will be.  I will never forgive him for taking me from my peaceful life in Kentucky and causing me to include myself with another gang.

The feelings of love I had for him definitely subsided, though I do think about "us" from time to time.

It was a comforting thing, to fall asleep to the scenarios I would never admit to anyone.

I eventually had to realize that part of the problem was we fell too fast and too hard.

But I'm over it now.

And now I'm entering the building of an event that could change my life.

My goal is to find who invited me and give me access to weapons and money to kill good ol' Gen.

It seemed risky but I was pretty confident in what I'd do, whether they agree or not.

I realized that the place was relatively nice, with quite a few people to fill the room.

I noticed names on cards for seats, and I quickly found mine in the center of the room.

"Kiara Kishi," I muttered to myself, tilting the card as I sat to read it better.

I looked at the names around me, four of them normal while the fifth was one I couldn't see.

I didn't think anything of it.

Since I didn't know anyone and clearly everyone had not arrived yet, there was nothing more for me to do besides walk the room and sip on champagne.

I had two glasses of champagne down before anyone else of high status entered the room.

I realized a pattern relatively fast, mostly men and the only women being the plus ones of the people who sat on the outer edge of the room.

I didn't necessarily know why I got the invite, being that Mr. Genovese gave it to me with no instructions other than to listen.

I could listen.  To a certain degree.

There was a high possibility I was just a messenger in this situation.  That Gen' going out in public might make him feel risky and vulnerable in an unfamiliar place.

As the room filled a bit more, more people went to their seats instead of going socialize with anyone else.

I heard a glass tinking noise, and looked towards the front of the room by the doors to an elevated platform where a man was standing.

"Thank you for coming everyone," He shouted across the room, "For those of you who don't know, I'm Vito Neeley. I'm sure you're all wondering why you're here.  Well, let me tell you.  I have a deal,"

Vito paced his stand slowly, making sure the silence dragged out before he continued to speak.

"Something of mine has been taken.  Something rather precious.  And there's a possibility one of you have it, we'll see," His eyes hardened for only a moment before returning to their unreadable state.

"It's a ring, with a three red center stones and golden ring piece.  It breaks apart into two when twisted a certain way, and whoever finds it will be financially rewarded," He smiled, his eyes sending chills down my spine as we made eye contact for just a split second.

"Just remember, someone in this room could possibly have it.  So trust no one," Vito's voice became dark and cold as he finished.

"Enjoy the rest of your night," His smile returned before he gracefully stepped off the platform.

I didn't look around at anyone before standing up and walking in his direction.

I wanted that money, I wanted that reward.

Whether I found the ring or not.