16

Kiara's pov

I was grateful nobody had already noticed me, but all of their backs were towards me so I went unnoticed.

"Did he say why?" Kat asked, and based on Stas's sniffling, I could assume she was the focus of the conversation.

"No. He just said he needed to go. And then he started talking and I thought it was you so I just wanted to see what he said,"

"I haven't talked to Colby all day," Devyn told her.

Shit. She heard that conversation. At least part of it.

"Whoever it was," Stas continued, "They told Colby that they were looking for a bathroom or something. But she lied, and told him that how he was treating me was wrong,"

"Well good for her," Kat said, "Maybe it was Carrington. She's been floating around here the past couple of days,"

"Her voice didn't sound like Carrington though," Stas pointed out, "I thought it was Devyn, because it was so soft yet demanding at the same time,"

"Maybe it was 'cause you were hearing it through a door that it sounded funny," Devyn said, clearly trying to smooth over the situation.

"Now that I think about it, Sam has been acting funny lately too," Kat sighed, "Like, he comes home angry, almost every night,"

"It's very stressful for him, what he does is incredibly difficult. Not everyone can do it," Devyn laughed, probably to make it sound less tense, "I wonder what made Colby switch with Sam,"

Stas must have given them a funny look, because I knew damn well Stas was not around when Colby was the boss of this place, "What was it like with him?" She asked, "You know, being in charge?"

"We partied a lot more. I worked a lot more than I do now," Devyn listed, "He was a lot meaner. He still is same old Colby, he's just closed off a bit since,"

Kat hummed along with Devyn, agreeing to what she had to say.

"Did Kiara have anything to do with it?" It surprised me that Stas brought me up more than the other girls. Maybe it was because she was trying to get to know me without actually interacting with me, but it freaked me out, "Sam said she was apart of the gang until about a year or so ago,"

"Almost two years ago," Kat corrected her, "And yeah, I think she did. Sam said that she saved Colby just for them both to almost die,"

"How did it happen?" Stas asked, almost as fascinated as a moth is with a flame, "It doesn't make any sense,"

"It must have been a fatal enough shot that they thought she was dead, I don't know. I wasn't there," Kat explained, probably using her hands to speak because I could hear an occasional tap of hands or clink of rings, "But what was important was Colby. Colby was the boss, Colby had to be saved,"

"It took a couple of weeks to track down Kiara," Devyn took over, "Her brother reached out to let Colby know that she got into some substances and he was going to do his best to get her back to him, which confirmed that she was actually in New York,"

I didn't know about that part, the part about Kavin getting ahold of Colby. I didn't know how I felt about that, about him contacting my "ex" with a promise that I would be delivered back to where I was supposed to be.

"Sam took over right after that," Devyn continued, "They practically swapped roles in the gang. You came along about a week later, when everything was still new. Last I heard, her brother kept in touch with Sam and became a spy, basically,"

"So when Jake flew out to New York, his actual intent was for her brother to coincidentally have them meet up and he would take her back. Her brother was to keep in touch once she was out here, but I don't think that ever happened," Kat's voice lowered as her opinion fell into the story.

"Why not?" Stas asked, and I felt myself getting annoyed that they knew all the stuff that I didn't.

Sam and Colby were right, they did keep track of me since I left Florida.

Kavin was that spy, that key to everything about me. I didn't know why Kavin wouldn't have texted me though. My phone was too broken to use now so I couldn't contact him to figure anything out.

"He went missing yesterday: stopped responding to texts, not doing his daily tasks in New York and completely cut ties with Sam," Katrina explained, to the both of them apparently because even Devyn let out a gasp.

"So what are we going to do with Kiara?" Stas asked, "Just let her wander around the place on her "mission"?"

"She's looking for something, as far as Sam knows," Katrina sighed, "It's not here though. Cause he knows what it is,"

"How does he know?" Devyn asked. "Because he's a good friend of the man that issued the order to her. She's looking for a ring, and he told her that Colby had it, because he thought he did. But her brother has the ring,"

"How the hell did he get ahold of the ring?" Stas asked, sounding as confused as I felt.

"Because Vito never had it. It was Kiara's mother's wedding ring," Katrina explained. I figured she knew some of the stuff that Sam was into but she knew more than me.

"Her grandfather gave it to his son when his wife died, so that he could use the ring on his future wife. Well, Kiara's mother gave the ring to Kavin only a few short weeks before she died and he's had it ever since," She continued, "He figured that Kavin gave it to Colby to marry Kiara with, but he was wrong,"

I quietly tiptoed back further into the kitchen, trying my best not to make a noise until I was in the hallway.

Tears were warm, streaming down my cheeks as I made my way back to the bedroom.

All of this was for nothing. I was here for nothing.

I had to go back to LA and find my brother.

Or just ditch the entire plan and do this shit myself.