3

Kiara's pov

As soon as I saw that name card, my head snapped up and I looked around the room. From first glance, Jake was nowhere to be spotted.

But one closer look said otherwise.

There he was, I heard his laugh before I saw him. In the middle of the room, talking to people I'm sure he didn't know.

But that was one more familiar face here. One I never thought I'd never see again, at least not for a long time.

His hair was grown out and darker, solid black with a mullet. It made him look older, more reckless.

I'm sure Colby hated that.

I walked up to where he was standing with three other men, one of them with the addition of a woman who was not chipping in much into the conversation.

"Webber," I said, holding my hand out for him to shake, before looking at the other men, "Can you give us a minute please? The grown ups need to talk,"

They didn't move at first, it was as if they didn't take orders from a woman. Jake gave them a little nod, indicating that they should, in fact, go somewhere else.

"Kiara," He smiled, and I'm sure if we were in a private setting he would have given me a hug, "It's so good to see you!"

"Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes, "Cut the bullshit. Why the hell are you here?"

"I got an invite," He answered, waving the piece of paper in his hand.

"Yeah but you're from California. This isn't a party for you," I crossed my arms. He stared at me in silence for a few seconds, his smile slowly fading.

"I'm sorry about your family," Jake sighed quietly, "I know that is probably really hard for you to process,"

"It's been a while, I don't even think about it anymore," I lied, my somber tone matching his as I asked, "I heard Colby's alive?"

"Yeah," Jake shrugged, "I always knew he'd make it. Sam thought he was dead until we managed to get him help,"

"I didn't mean for things to end the way they did," I admitted, and that was true.

I still wonder from time to time what life would be like if I didn't do what I did in Florida.

"That was partly our fault too. We should have known better. And part of me thinks that Colby knew what he was doing," Jake explained, "I think his plan went wrong,"

"What, he wanted me to blow up the hotel my family was staying in and then let me tear myself apart because my family was dead and he wanted to put me back together?" I asked in disbelief.

I had hard feelings towarsds that night in Florida. Beating my dad to death after I shot my mom and sister was something I couldn't fathom myself doing when those four boys first took me.

If someone would have told me that I'd kill most of my family back when I still lived with them I would have laughed in their face.

Now I'd drink to it. What a change.

"Maybe. I don't know what he was thinking, and I still don't to be honest," Jake said, "I just know he cared a lot about you and wanted to keep you safe,"

I found myself believing that, seeing as that was just who Colby was. He would do anything for the people he loved.

I doubt that was still the case for me, though. I don't even love myself, so I don't know why he would.

"He probably hates me, huh?" I asked with a humorless laugh. Against Vito's wishes, I grabbed a glass of champagne off of one of the many servers' trays, taking a sip of it and letting it sit in my mouth for a couple of seconds before swallowing.

"Colby? I don't know," Jake sighed, grabbing himself a glass of champagne, "He doesn't talk about you. Not even once. He knew you left after you shot him, and I think he knows now that he won't ever see you again,"

"Well," I smirked behind my glass, "I don't know about that,"

"Wait, are you serious?" Jake asked, as I shrugged, taking a nice long sip of my drink. After a couple of seconds, he pulled the glass down and out of my mouth to look me in the face, "Are you coming back to LA?"

"I may or may not have some business that I need to get done up there," I smiled at him. I realized how much I missed messing around with Jake. He was easily one of my best friends when I lived with him. It was odd since he was the one that kidnapped me but still, we got along just fine.

"Oh my god, the girls have missed you so much," He beamed, completely forgetting to mention how Colby would react, "And we have plenty of spare rooms, as you know, so you can pick any one. And then use another as a closet probably,"

"Thanks Jake," I smiled, finishing off my champagne, "Before I go, I need to smoke. Come outside with me?" I offered, and he eagerly nodded.

I led the way through the crowd, and normally I would assume Jake would have to hold my hand to not lose me. But that was informal, so we didn't.

When we exited the back doors, I pulled out a cigarette and brought it to my lips, lighting it with the lighter I had tucked away in my bra.

I smelled smoke, but it seemed odd for someone who just started the cigarette. Normally, the smell of it increases as you have a cigarette, so to smell so much was odd.

I turned to see Jake, also holding a cigarette to his lips. "I thought you quit?" I asked with a confused look on my face.

"I did," He said before taking a drag, "Then I started again. Shits rough,"

"I feel that," I grinned, and realized that Vito's deal might be easier to accomplish than I thought.