4

Kiara's pov

"So, you and Tara?" I asked, watching as a quick grin appeared on Jake's face.

"Yeah, we've been together for a while now. A couple of months, at least," He said as he dropped his cigarette on the ground, stepping on it to put out the embers, "She's tried to get me to stop smoking. And doing drugs,"

"You do drugs?" I asked, more shocked than concerned. Jake would play it safe, no matter what he was getting himself into.

"Yes.... No - uh, well kind of -" He sighed, frustrated with himself, "It's not like I'm addicted or anything. I get high before I go to sleep and sometimes if I can get my hands on something I'll do it,"

"Oh," Was all I could manage to say, even if it sounded bad. I knew everyone had their own struggles but for so long I had only focused on my own.

So it was refreshing, almost, to hear about problems from someone else.

"Yeah," He fell into silence before changing the subject, "So how long are you going to be in LA for?"

"Until my job is done," I shrugged, "Days or weeks. Months, but probably not likely. In and out, hopefully,"

I honestly didn't know how long it would take me to get the ring off Colby. I bet Jake knew he had it, but most likely would not tell me just because we still have to get to know each other again.

I had to earn Colby's trust, or even at least Sam's so he could help me get closer.

I'd find the ring, take it and leave before anyone notices it's gone.

I doubt things will go as smoothly as they sound in my head but optimism is key.

"I'm gonna guess that you won't tell me your job, and it's probably none of my business so I'm not going to ask," Jake looked at me, running his fingers through his mullet, "But I bet both of my asscheeks that Colby will. The second he sees you he's gonna wonder why the fuck you're here,"

"I'm sorry if he's going to give you a hard time about bringing me back," I apologized in advance because I truly meant it. He didn't deserve any shit Colby was going to give him, and I will try my best to keep him off Jake's back until I leave again.

"It's fine. I don't think he ever thought he'd see you ever again," He said with a humorless chuckle, "I mean, I sure as hell didn't and look at where we are,"

He motioned back and forth between the two of us, and around the dark New York sky that wasn't really dark because of the city lights. We were smoking while we talked as if nothing was wrong.

"Yeah. I truly didn't mean to cause you trouble back in Florida," I sighed, bringing the cigarette to my lips for one long, final drag. It was a cooling burn that filled my chest, not that I liked how it felt but I was used to it.

"Can I ask why you did it? Shot Colby?" He turned to face me instead of standing beside me like he had been, and I did the same to him.

"It was a lot for me to deal with. My family, though we were poor, we were enough. There was nothing wrong with my life besides a couple of minor things. I realize now that my father and grandfather lied to me, so I thank you for taking me away," I spoke rather slowly, making sure he heard every thing I had to say.

"But I didn't want to be here in that life anymore. I loved that you guys didn't treat me like I was a prisoner the entire time, but I did want to be free. It wasn't fair for Colby to treat me like that. I knew as soon as I saw my brother that this was a set up. And Colby had to die for what he did to me, and unfortunately leading me to what I had to do," I dropped my cigarette to the ground, pressing it under my heel.

"But he lived," He realized, his voice almost an echo.

It was as if he never zoomed out on this entire situation to take in what he and his friends did to me.

They ruined me, Colby most of all.

And I want revenge. But I want the best kind of revenge, and in my opinion that is tearing them apart from the inside out.

Working with Vito will give me just that.

"He lived," I repeated with a frown, "And now I'm on a job, and while I'm doing it I'm going to try and repair things with Colby. He could be a great help to me, his gang and mine,"

"You lead a gang?" He asked, almost as if to clarify.

"Not yet, but I will. This job will help me get just that," I couldn't help but smile when I thought about all the great things coming my way.

Sure, maybe I'll keep Colby alive this time and use him to help me but I'm promising myself right now that things will not change.

Lovers to enemies is how I want it to be. So one day when I'm dead, someone will use that as a fantastic storyline to write about my life, what I went through and what I accomplished.

I might deserve it by then.

"So what are you trying to accomplish by leading a gang?" He asked, "Clearly you work for someone so Colby is not going to let you in like he did last time. It's obvious you're going to need his help,"

"I'm not sharing any information with who I work for or what I'm doing. In fact, as soon as I land in California, I'm cutting ties with everyone over here until the job is done. To keep myself as safe as possible," I added quickly at the end just to make sure that Jake got the hint that I was not doing this for his sake.

"Got it. We leave in the morning," Jake leaned in to give me a quick, one-armed hug before beginning to walk away, "I'll find your number and text you. Don't worry about it."

Something told me that Jake didn't really know what he was doing.

But I have to give him credit for trying to help me.