four

Date night with Will went well. She hadn't been able to bring things up just yet. She still needed to figure things out herself. Besides, she didn't have a definite answer to things and she was happy enough. Then again as soon as she saw Matt's name come up on her phone, she pulled away from where she was tucked against Will's side.

"Hey," She greeted once she was in the kitchen so she could have some privacy.

"I'm not interrupting anything am I?"

"I'm at Will's watching a movie. Is everything okay?"

"Oh. Uh, yeah. Go back and enjoy your movie."

Evelyn stood up straight. Something had happened. "Matthew Murdock, do not lie to me."

He sighed. He could have repeated the I'm fine line and hung up but hearing that tone she was practically halfway out the door anyway. So maybe if he told her part of it she would stay. "Stick came to visit. Things didn't exactly end well. But I can handle it. Enjoy your evening."

"No, I told you I wasn't going to let you do this alone. I'm coming over."

"Maybe I should." Well, that didn't work out either. Maybe he shouldn't have called her. He relied too much on her as it was, or so he was told. 

"Okay, that's it. I'm on my way. That sorry excuse for a mentor comes back for maybe a day and has you already going back to your I can carry the weight of the world by myself ways. Well, guess what, Murdock, I've got pretty decent shoulders myself and I'm coming over to help."

"I don't think I really have a say anymore anyway." He really didn't know if he was relieved or frustrated that his best friend was so damn stubborn.

"You're damn right. I'll be there in 15." She hung up and pocketed her phone as she made her way back to the couch.

She wrapped her arms around Will's shoulders from behind and kissed his cheek. "I gotta go. Friend emergency. I'll text you later, okay?"

Will rolled his eyes. This was the third time this week she had cut things short. "Do I all of a sudden smell bad or something?" He asked.

Her brow furrowed as she pulled back. "This is the third time this week you've cut spending time with me short. Ever since you declined meeting my friends at the Knicks game, you've been acting like you can't stand to be near me."

She scoffed. "So what you think that me going through the bombings is my fault cause I could have been at a basketball game blissfully unaware? I'm sorry that I'm still affected by that and my friend needs my help tonight."

"What friend?"

"Matt."

Will chuckled. "Oh just great. The so-called best friend that you supposedly don't have a romantic history with."

Evelyn groaned. "I'm leaving because you're being childish about this. We'll talk later." She grabbed her purse and left.

She couldn't believe him. She never understood why everyone seemed to have an issue with her friendship with Matt. They were close. They had similar histories. She just happened to have a decent mom when he didn't. Matt had helped her grieve her father. That's what started it all, well after they reconnected. But he had gotten himself a girlfriend so she moved on from her crush, or so she thought. She was just glad she was able to keep him as a friend.

"Oh my god, Matt, what happened?" She asked as he let her in. He wasn't in good shape and his apartment reflected the state he was in.

As she made her way into his apartment, she turned him around and nudged him forward. "Go sit down on the couch and I'll be there soon to take a look."