nine

AN: Well, I'm getting settled into my new house and I thought I would get a new chapter out before going in and editing some future chapters. So here's a treat for the eve before Halloween. Thanks so much for all the love this story has gotten so far. I truly appreciate it! Much love and happy reading!

⠙⠙

When Evelyn arrived at Matt's Friday night, he wasn't there. Shirley kept her late. A handful of patients needed her expertise and since she was the one that led the patient experience initiatives, she needed to stick around to make sure all was taken care of before going home. As she made her way inside, she remembered Matt left her a voicemail. With a quick listen, she learned that he went out on patrol because he heard someone needing his help. She wasn't entirely sure how long he would be, so she headed to the bedroom to get comfortable for her weekend at her boyfriend's. The thought left a small smile on her lips. She and Matt were actually dating. It may have taken them forever but Evelyn didn't regret the journey one bit.

He came in through the roof access, his mask in his hand. The water in the bathroom shut off and the familiar soft padding of feet made its way closer to him. "Glad Shirley finally let you go. I was hoping you'd be here when I got back." Matt said as he made his way over to her. At the sound of her increased heart rate, he smirked. "Do you like the new suit?"

Evelyn hummed her approval around her toothbrush before hurrying to go finish brushing her teeth. She wasn't sure what she would have done if it hadn't been Matt coming in through the roof access but she also wanted to let him know in some fashion that she had in fact made it.

Matt set about unlocking his wardrobe, setting his mask and gloves next to the box he kept his Daredevil things. Just as he was about to unzip the suit to get out of it, Evelyn placed her hand over his. "Wait, I want to get a better look."

He did a small spin for her, a smirk firmly in place, which earned him a playful shove at his shoulder. "And what's the verdict?" He asked, bringing her closer by tugging the hand that she used to swat at him.

"It looks like it'll keep you a lot safer than the athletic shirt and tactical pants you were wearing. What's replacing your oversized bandana?"

He motioned toward where he left it and she bent down to pick it up. She started chuckling and he tilted his head as he waited for her to tell him why. "A little on the nose, huh?"

Shrugging, he took the mask from her. "I am the Devil of Hell's Kitchen now."

"I thought it was Daredevil." She teased him.

"Either way it means bad news for you." He smirked when she tilted her head back with a groan.

"You haven't offered me an apple yet, so I'd say I'm in the clear. Besides, you are far better than Adam." She said, looping her arms around his neck and standing on her tiptoes to give him a kiss.

He pulled back, eyebrows furling in confusion. "Why do you sound like you're speaking from experience?"

Evelyn had to bite back her laughter, except every time she tried to tell him, she would start giggling. In high school, she had in fact dated a boy named Adam. They both got a kick out of being Adam and Eve, even going so far as dressing up as the biblical characters one year for Halloween, but being the originators of sin didn't put a strain on their relationship, Evelyn's grief did. Adam pushed her to get over the death of her father so that she would be the person he knew but Evelyn couldn't be the social butterfly anymore, she had her life to rearrange and her family to take care of.

"Because I dated an Adam in high school." She finally got out.

Matt shook his head, joining in her laughter. "I really should not be surprised."