eight

Ben's death had been a surprise. Karen asked Evelyn to come despite her having only heard stories about the journalist. There was just one person missing and she wondered if Foggy was really being that petty. The service was beautiful and while Karen spoke with Ben's wife, Matt asked Evelyn to guide him a bit away from the crowd so they could say their goodbyes. That's when Father Lantom stepped over to greet the pair.

"How are you holding up, Matthew?" He asked.

"Like a good Catholic boy." Matt quipped.

"That bad, huh?"

Matt shrugged. "He was a good man. And he's gone because I haven't stopped what's happening to this city."

Evelyn sighed. "Matt, you can't put that on yourself."

Father Lantom smiled. "You should probably listen to her. You're doing everything that you can and some that you probably shouldn't have."

"And yet here we are," Matt said, "you two ganging up on me. Something I never expected to happen."

"Hey, I never said I left the church because I didn't like what Father Lantom had to say." She teased him.

He turned to face towards her and stuck his tongue out which caused the priest to laugh. "My two troublemakers are all grown up and still as attached at the hip as you two were going through Confirmation. I'm glad you two still have each other. It's good to see you, Evelyn." He nodded before turning to Matt. "Matthew."

"Bye, Father." They said in unison as Karen walked up.

⠙⠙

Just as she sent her latest email to Shirley with the documents her boss asked for, Evelyn's phone began vibrating, Foggy's name and picture lighting up the screen. She thought about ignoring it. She still couldn't believe that Foggy would let his anger towards Matt interfere with supporting a friend. The longer the buzzing went on, the more worry began to fill her chest. If Foggy didn't make it, something must have happened. She quickly grabbed her phone, swiping the icon to answer it just before it went to voicemail. "Are you okay?" She winced at the bit of annoyance that tainted her genuine question.

Foggy sighed. "Yeah, I deserve some of that don't I. How is she holding up?"

"She'd probably feel better if she knew she had everyone's support. But seriously are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Marci called and had the next batch of files ready so I had to go pick those up. It's a shit excuse and I'm going to make it up to Karen, I promise."

"Well, taking down Fisk would certainly be the best way to make it up to her."

"I'll see what I can do," he chuckled, "but first I think it's about time I finally spoke with Matt."

Evelyn sat up, leaning forward on her desk as hope filled her. "Yeah?"

"I have actually missed him, you know. We still need to discuss some things especially since he knows what he's doing isn't exactly legal but I think it's time I brought him into what I'm working on. It could help us both out."

"You two just talking again would be far better than what's been going on. Are you headed to the office now?"

"Actually, I just left the office and Karen was out on lunch and Matt was nowhere to be found." Foggy trailed off, implying that his next question was to ask her if she knew where he was.

She laughed, sitting back in her chair. "Do you know where Fogwell's is?"

"Yeah."

"Check there if he's not at home."