three

AN: With me being so close to wrapping up Season 2 in my story I figured we could celebrate with a new chapter. So I hope you enjoy!

⠙⠙

The windows rattled. Evelyn and Claire both paused midbite as they heard the explosions happen all around them. Setting their cupcakes down on the coffee table, the two women rushed over to the window, noticing the orange glow and even noticing one of the fires. They looked toward each other and soon they were both racing around cleaning up and getting ready.

"Do we need to stop by Matt's for your scrubs?" Evelyn asked as she put on one of her hospital t-shirts.

"There're scrubs there I can grab but I'll take a t-shirt if you have another one."

Evelyn tossed the shirt her way and pulled on the pants she wore earlier that day. As soon as her shoes were on, her phone began blowing up with texts from Shirley. Three bombings. ER Rush. Need you here asap to help filter patients. Are you okay?

The brunette laughed at the last text, sent almost like an afterthought. She replied, letting her boss know that she would be coming in.

The only way to describe the ER when they got there was chaos, even more so than usual. Claire rushed off to get changed so she could start helping with the injuries. Evelyn weaved her way into the registration, claiming the computer next to the overwhelmed registrar. "Everyone listen up!" She shouted over the crowd, silencing the chatter, once she was logged in. "If you are here for an actual injury or illness I need you to stay in this line with Miss Debbie. My lovely people checking people in, in the lobby please help with this line. If you are here to see if a loved one has been checked in, please step over to my line. We will see everyone as quickly as we can."

She didn't realize how much time had passed. There were still so many people in the lobby when Claire touched her shoulder. Evelyn startled a little, looking behind her as she hung up the phone. When she didn't have someone in front of her, she answered frantic phone calls looking for loved ones. Realization settled her back down before she recognized the not-so-great expression on her friend's face. Claire wasn't there to ask for help, no she was there to deliver some bad news.

Evelyn's heart dropped.

"Hey, come with me. Shirley's sending Tricia to take over." Claire said with a soft smile.

Nodding, she stood and followed Claire to a semi-quiet part of the hallway. "Is it Matt?"

Claire shook her head. "Foggy Nelson. He asked for you. He wanted to make sure you were okay."

"And is he okay?"

"We're keeping him overnight for observation. He lost some blood from a cut to his side that he didn't realize was there."

She nodded. Okay, that didn't sound so bad. But there were still so many questions she had. "Have you heard from Matt?"

"He has Vladmir in an abandoned warehouse. The bombs hit the Russians. I walked him through cauterizing a bullet wound but he's fine."

Evelyn pinched the bridge of her nose. "I'm not going to get any sleep tonight."

"Probably not. Are you sure this is something you can maintain? He's getting in deep with this."

Sighing, she leaned up against the wall. "I can't let him do this alone. Even if it is just making sure he knows there's always something to come back home to."

"Okay," she nodded. "Well, you know where to find me if you need to talk. Now let me take you to Foggy. If he calls back again, I'll come find you."

They made it to his room just in time. He was trying to get out of bed before she hurried over to the side of the bed. "Whoa, where do you think you're going?" Evelyn asked, helping Karen ease Foggy back down into the bed.