Prologue

It was a cold day near Lake Isabella in the West Grizzlies. A bad snow storm had just came through, and despite the main part of the storm being over it was still snowing a little.

A Mexican and a most part American sat next to each other by a fire trying to coax warmth into their bodies. Esperanza- or rather, Ranza listened to some of her fellow gang members gossip about something; said gossip probably being about a certain nemesis gang.

Ranza hadn't been in the O'Driscoll gang very long, and it certainly wasn't a very pleasing experience so far. These men were the epitome of sexists, racists, and generally; Assholes. She was both a Mexican and a female, so that should be imaginable enough. She was one of the few women in the gang, and the few actual 'woman gang members'.

Most of the women in this gang were working girls and slept around. Ranza herself hasn't ever thought about being a working girl, but the thought of having to sleep with any of these men- or men like this in general is revolting.

"Jesus it's cold..." Keiran chattered beside her as he rubbed his sleeved arms, and the air fogged as he spoke. "Yeah..." she agreed, watching two of the men start a brawl.

"Let's go check on the horses, I don't wanna get dragged into anything."

Esperanza nodded agreeing with the suggestion and the two stood up walking across the infested camp.

The two were met with the quivering horses parked under a lean-to. "Poor guys are cold." The man frowned and patted the nearest horses nose, who snorted and flickered its ears around.

Canción, Esperanza's horse, came up and greeted her; air being visible as he took puffs in the muggy draft.

Kieran brushed Branwen. "Do you think we'll ever move out of this place?" He asked.

"Colm seems to like it, despite the weather." She said, which honestly surprised her as much as he liked to mess with people.

Her friend nodded and frowned. "W-well I don't... I don't think this is gonna give us nothing-"

Suddenly a gunshot rang out, causing the horses to spook, and many more followed after.

Some of the horses dispersed, and some stayed with the two humans. But all were nervously snorting, spinning, and pacing as the gunshots continued.

It was obvious that it wasn't just some of the men fighting, as both Ranza and Kieran peeked from behind a wall seeing unfamiliar men.

"We have to get out of here!" Kieran said quickly and ran over to Branwen, and cinched up his saddle.

"Not right now! We won't be able to make it out!" Ranza hissed quietly, and continued to watch the fight. "Jesus these guys have way less men then we do but yet are guys are dropping like flies in the fall..." she noted.

Kieran hissed and started getting Ranza's horse ready, as it was obvious she wasn't going to anytime here soon.

"C'mon lady!" She said and dragged her over to her horse, and him getting on his own. "Get on!" Kieran ordered and the Spanish woman groaned and mounted up.

Kieran kicked Branwen into a quick canter that turned into a gallop, Ranza and Canción following suit.

The two pushed their horses through the snow as the gunshots quieted down, and they pulled them down to a trot. Both of the Geldings huffing from having to run through the steep snow.