The Spider Incident

Every year during the summer break, the Jones family visits Mr. Jones' parents' house in the countryside. This year was also no different. It was the fourth day of their stay. Mr. and Mrs. Jones went out with Mr. Jones' parents and won't be home till late at night. Eddie and Greg went to visit the local sites. Both the siblings were born here and before the twins were born, their family shifted close to the city. The first two siblings used to play here and spent a lot of memorable happy moments here. So, whenever they visit their Grandparents' house, they just roam around and remember their childhood days.

The twins, on the other hand, slept all day. No one to disturb, no school, and Grandmother's handmade cookies were what they look forward to all summer. It was noon, they woke up an hour ago. They were in the Living Room, Sophie was lying on the couch eating a bag of potato snacks and scrolling through her Instagram feed, and Nick was on the floor with his phone typing some texts.

A plate of yesterday's baked cookies was kept on the coffee table. Sophie liked one of the posts she came across and ate the last piece of her potato snack. She went for another one when she realized, there was no more. She put the packet aside and commented, "Pass me one cookie."

"You have hands. Take it yourself", Nick replied right away.

"Come on, man! You are sitting so close to the coffee table, just pass me the cookies", Sophie told Nick.

"I am not close to the coffee table. You are close to it. You take it yourself and pass me one", Nick replied still typing.

"Dude, I'm lying on the couch. I have to get up and reach for the cookies. But you are already sitting. So, why don't you give me one?", Sophie stated.

Nick this time put his phone down and got up. "Okay."

Sophie got up too. Now she was sitting on the couch. "Where are you going?"

Nick didn't bother to answer and went to another room. A few minutes later, he came back.

"Why did you bring a ruler?", asked Sophie when she noticed a ruler in Nick's hand.

"To show you who's close to the plate of cookies", Nick replied sassily.

Sophie looked at her twin brother and after a minute she said, "So, you got up, went to the other room, and brought a ruler just to show that you are right? And you still won't pass me the cookies?"

"That's right! I want to show you that you are lying, not lying on the couch but are a liar", Nick stated.

Sophie got up from the couch and was now standing in front of Nick, "You're such a baby, Nick. You can have the cookies...only your portion. I am going to take a long bath 'cause you are driving me crazy!" Sophie stomped away.

 I am going to take a long bath 'cause you are driving me crazy!" Sophie stomped away