Chapter 14

RAJWAN stared at his sister while biting his lower lip, ignoring the tears filling his eyes at the sight of her breaking down into tears. He fidgeted with his fingers and nodded at her words, his eyes still fixated on the screen in front of him.

The screen that had every person laughing at his sister and her friends for the past twelve hours.

"So there's really nothing you can do?" He asked in a calm tone. "He clearly needs your help!"

The girl shook her head and remained silent, tears pouring out of her eyelids.

"Look at him..." The younger boy began again. "Look at the screaming, and the crying! This is not consensual. I don't know what everyone's laughing at."

She shrugged and frowned, finally hitting her limit. "I don't know what to do, Rajwan."

"I know it's—"

"I don't know what to do!" She screamed, covering her face with her hands.

His jaw barely dropped at how heartbroken she sounded. He immediately hurried towards her, inching himself closer to her seat on the couch, and wrapped an arm around her torso.

"I'm... I'm sorry. Really." He apologized, resting his head on her shoulder. "How about we go to the detective tomorrow morning and see what he tells us?"

She allowed tears to pour down her face as she pursed her lips together.

"No? You don't want to go to the detective?"

She shook her head. "He doesn't take me seriously. He thinks this is all a joke. I went through a lie detector test, he asked me a lot of questions, I answered him as honestly as I could, and yet he still thinks I'm hiding something."

Rajwan frowned at her tone. "But you're not. That's all that matters, right? And, as soon as he sees this video, I'm sure he'll do everything he can to help Hyunjin." He sighed and paused to inhale, thinking for a brief moment. "Most of the cases he's dealing with... Usually, the partner has something to do with a person's disappearance. So you can't blame him for that."

She rolled her eyes at how logical her brother sounded.

"I guess you're right. But that doesn't mean I won't go after those kidnappers if I have the chance to."

Rajwan let out a small giggle at her confident tone, "I know, Mal. I think we all know that, considering how much you love Hyunjin."

The sentence caused her heart to shatter loudly in a distance.

She did, indeed, love her husband. The boy had captivated her heart with everything he did. Most importantly, she loved how he was so eager to talk to her even though his darn parents had forced him into marriage. He had fallen in love first, and she soon followed. Until they were practically inseparable.

And what made the matter worse was that he had told her he considered her his parent, seeing how terrible his parents treated him. She was his safe place, and thinking about it at that moment, he was hers.

She had missed the way he lingered on her for a few more seconds after they let go of each other's hug. The way he was so desperate to kiss her after a long day at work to relieve his stress, and hers. He had also told her that she was the best part of his day, and even though she couldn't admit it, she would wait until she was done with her work just so she could go back home, and hold him between her arms.

She missed him.

And not only was she willing to pay anything to bring him back, but she was also willing to do anything.

The only problem was that she had no idea what to do.

"Hey—" her brother interrupted after a few seconds of silence, "how about I stay the night here, with you?"

It took her a few moments to process the question, and when she did, she sent him a faint, grateful smile.

"Sounds good."

Rajwan then jumped up from the couch, quickly letting go of his sister's body and standing up.

"And since you didn't eat anything, I'm going to the kitchen to make us dinner."

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "how did you know I didn't eat?"

"I'm your brother, Mal," he stated, already hurrying towards the kitchen, "I just know you didn't."

Deciding that she wouldn't have a point arguing with him, and because she knew he wasn't wrong, she sighed and watched him leave the room, her eyes eventually dropping to the floor.

Maybe her husband's disappearance caused her to neglect some parts of her life, of her daily routine, including eating at the right times.

And losing her temper at obnoxious co-stars.

It wasn't like her.

But maybe she loved him too much to care.

"What do you want for dinner? Roasted chicken? Wait— I have an idea!"

She rolled her eyes at how enthusiastic her brother sounded, her lips unconsciously curving into a smile.

"Okay, do whatever you want!" She yelled. "Just don't wreck my kitchen!"

He let out a small giggle and grabbed a pan from a nearby corner, "oh, you don't have to worry about that."

And now that she thought about it, she was starving.

Luckily her brother was an excellent cook.

She sighed and got up from the couch, heading towards the kitchen. She caught sight of Rajwan standing by the storage room and looking at the food ingredients.

"What are you making?" She asked, gulping down her saliva.

It took him a moment before he grabbed what he wanted and turned around to face her, an excited smirk on his handsome face.

"It's a surprise."

The sentence caused her to break out in a grateful grin. She hurried towards her brother with open arms, quickly tackling him in a tight hug. He let out a soft chuckle before returning the hug, closing his eyes and allowing his muscles to relax.

"I love you so much," she whispered.

Tears welled up in his eyes. He rubbed her back and continued to enjoy the hug, sinking his face into her neck.

"I love you too, Mal."