Chapter Two

Note: When the words are in bold, this means they are speaking in Arabic.

He could have at least told me when he'd be back home, Salim thought to himself as he hung up the phone. Zain was a good kid. He had a lot of promise. But he made bad choices. Salim often blamed himself. Thought how different his kid could have turned out if his wife hadn't left. Not that he wanted her back. Not at all. But he wished he had a little more help when navigating fatherhood.

Salim's thoughts are halted when he hears a truck beeping. He looks out his window, his heart racing, realizing. Shit. 

"No, no, no, no... Fuck!" He cursed to himself. It was his kid's birthday for fuck's sake! Why now of all times? Salim sighed, heading outside. Dar is already waiting for him. Salim forces a smile. "Captain Basri. Hello."

"We need to move out, now," The other orders, his face serious.

"What are you talking about?" Salim questions.

"They're coming, Salim. The invaders are flying in!"

"Invaders?" Salim scoffs. "Captain, the war is over. We lost!"

"Nonsense!" Dar shoots back, shaking his head. "There has been no surrender. In the name of God, this is our land, man! This is where we fight back."

A soldier hears his radio. "We have eyes on them. Requesting confirmation."

Dar looks back at Salim. "They're coming, Salim. We need every available man in position in case they land nearby."

Salim doesn't want to do this. In his mind, the fighting was done. They lost. It was over. Besides, it was Zain's birthday. He needed to be home for him. "I can't do that, Sir. I need to find my son."

Dar's face flashed with something for a second. Anger? Disappointment? Salim couldn't tell. "It's an order, soldier... not a request." Dar put his hand on his holster, ready to kill Salim. "It is your obligation.

"So, I see," Salim muttered after a moment, looking at Dar with disgust. This wasn't the first time he'd threatened his life before. Salim walked inside his house and grabbed his gun. His eyes glanced at the present for Zain. "I'll be home soon." He walked back outside, gun in hand. Dar nodded at him and the two began walking to the truck. "No more, Dar. After this, I'm done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Game face on boys. We're coming in fast," Jason said to the group.

They were all in the helo, heading over to the dropsite. If King's information was correct, then soon they'd had Saddam's chemical weapons. A massive blow to the other side.

(Y/N) can't remember the first time he'd been in a helicopter. Too many years had passed. He didn't mind the rides, but they did make him uneasy. When he was on the ground, he had full control of his actions. If he died, it was his fault. But on the helo, he had no say. If it went down, so did he. He didn't know which was worse.

The group readied themselves, sitting up straight. (Y/N) could see King messing with his foot. He had a prosthetic. He wondered how he was still allowed to serve. A lot of the time they'd kick someone out for an injury like that. King must be a damn fine Marine.

(Y/N) was forced to sit next to Rachel. He didn't really want to. She was known to be a bitch. Nicknamed Queen Bitch by the crew. But at least Jason was sitting next to him, too.

"Hey Merwin," Joey looked at his friend. "What's your mama and the Bermuda Triangle have in common?"

"Why don't you fucking enlighten me?" Merwin replied.