Dos Oruguitas, Dos Primas

The Encanto was filled with cracks, and the Madrigal house was now in ruins. But, that wasn't what everyone was most worried about now. Not just one, but two Madrigal children were missing.
The Madrigals searched far and wide for Mirabel and/or Mila.
No one could find them. Without Dolores's super hearing, they couldn't search for them that way, and Antonio could no longer communicate with his animals either.
But, there was a piece of pink thread hanging from a branch, and a photograph on the ground, which someone picked up.
It was a photo of Mirabel and Mila with Abuela getting fitted into their matching dresses two weeks before their gift ceremony.

Mirabel sat by a river, crying into her knees and she wasn't alone either.
Mila knelt on the ground and looked at her reflection in the water, feeling sorry for herself. She shut her eyes tightly as a tear fell into the water, and she cried out in frustration as she punched the water with a big splash.
"Why me?" Mila asked. "Of all people who should've been left without a gift, it should've been me!"
Mila punched the water, but meaning really to punch her reflection.
"If you'd just controlled your anger! Or just tried doing more to- AGH!" Mila felt like pulling out her hair at that point.
"Ninas?" A new voice said, startling Mila and making her fall into the river with a bigger splash.
Mila picked herself up and coughed as she gasped for air.
Mila and Mirabel couldn't bear to look at their grandmother then. For the first time, Mila was speechless.
"I'm... sorry." Mirabel sniffled. "I never meant to..."
Abuela was silent as she looked at the river Mila climbed out from.
"I have never been able to come back here," said Abuela. "This river... is where we were given our miracle."
"Where Abuelo Pedro...?" Mirabel said, looking at Abuela. Mila looked at her too.
"I thought we would have a different life. I thought I would be a different woman."

51 Years Ago...
A young Alma took a candle and pulled herself up onto a lamppost to get a better view of the beautiful festival of candlelight. And on a lamppost across from hers, she could see a handsome young man named Pedro Madrigal, who smiled at Alma.
Dos oruguitas enamoradas
Pasan sus noches y madrugadas
Sometime later, Alma and Pedro were married, and one day learned that they were expecting triplets.
Llenas de hambre
Siguen andando y navegando un mundo
Que cambia y sigue cambiando
Navegando un mundo
Que cambia y sigue cambiando
Nine months later, Pedro and Alma were blessed with healthy triplets; two beautiful baby girls and a beautiful baby boy. Sadly, their happiness was short-lived as some violent men on horses were setting fire to other houses in the village, and they were forced to flee.
Dos oruguitas paran el viento
Mientras se abrazan con sentimiento
Siguen creciendo, no saben cuándo
Buscar algún rincón
El tiempo sigue cambiando
Inseparables son
El tiempo sigue cambiando
The Madrigals and many others from their village headed on their way, hoping to find a new home, when they saw that their attackers had followed them. And they could not escape. Everyone ran as fast as they could across the river. But, the villains were approaching fast. So, Pedro gave his babies each one last kiss, and one to his wife. Then, he returned to the river, sacrificing himself to the attackers, to his wife's dismay.
Ay, oruguitas, no se aguanten más
Hay que crecer aparte y volver
Hacia adelante seguirás
Vienen milagros, vienen crisálidas
Hay que partir y construir su propio futuro
Ay, oruguitas, no se aguanten más
Hay que crecer aparte y volver
Hacia adelante seguirás
Vienen milagros, vienen crisálidas
Hay que partir y construir su propio futuro
As Alma cried in despair for the loss of her husband, the candle she and Pedro had held on their wedding day glowed as a miracle blessed her and their people with a miracle, and an Encanto to call home. But, it wasn't all sunshine and butterflies for her. From then on, Alma had to raise her three babies on her own, and she changed inside.
Dos oruguitas desorientadas
En dos capullos bien abrigadas
Con sueños nuevos
Ya solo falta hacer lo necesario
En el mundo que sigue cambiando
Tumbando sus paredes
Ahí viene nuestro milagro
Nuestro milagro
Nuestro milagro
Nuestro milagro
"I was given a miracle," said Abuela in present day. "A second chance. And I was so afraid to lose it that I lost sight of who our miracle was for. And... I am so sorry. You never hurt our family, Mirabel. Neither did you, Milagro. We are broken... because of me."
That was when Mirabel and Mila saw a little butterfly land on a blade of grass like in Bruno's vision.
"Abuela," said Mirabel, standing up in front of her grandmother. "I can finally see."
Mila got up as well, and she and Mirabel each offered a hand to help Abuela up.
"You lost your home," said Mirabel. "Lost everything. You suffered so much all alone."
"So it would never happen again," Mila added. "We were saved because of you."
"We were given a miracle because of you." Mirabel said. "We're a family because of you. And nothing can ever be broken. That we can't fix."
"Together." Mila and Mirabel said together, holding Abuela's hands dearly.
Abuela gave a sad smile as she looked at her granddaughters in a way they did not recall seeing for ten years.
"I asked my Pedro for help," said Abuela. She placed a hand on each of her girls' cheeks. "Ninas. He sent me you."
And the three ladies embraced each other as a flock of golden butterflies flew all around them. Such a beautiful sight.
Ay, mariposas, no se aguanten más
Hay que crecer aparte y volver
Hacia adelante seguirás
Ya son milagros, rompiendo crisálidas
Hay que volar, hay que encontrar
Su propio futuro
Ay mariposas, no se aguanten más
Hay que crecer aparte y volver
Hacia adelante seguirás
Ya son milagros, rompiendo crisálidas
Hay que volar, hay que encontrar
Su propio futuro
Ay mariposas, no se aguanten más
Hay que crecer aparte y volver
Hacia adelante seguirás
Ya son milagros, rompiendo crisálidas
Hay que volar, hay que encontrar
Su propio futuro
Suddenly, the twin cousins and their grandmother heard barking and a horse galloping.
"They didn't do this!" Bruno shouted as he arrived on the horse. "I gave them a vision."
Bruno fell down as he got down from the horse, and Chika bit his ruana as though helping him up
"It was me! I was like, no! And they were all pfft!" Bruno blabbered on. "I don't care what you think of me, but if you're too stubborn to-"
Abuela hugged her son. "Brunito."
"I feel like I missed something important." Bruno said.
"Don't worry, Papi. Everything's fine." Mila smiled.
"Why are you soaking wet?"
"I fell in the river. Long story."
Mila pet her dog, and Chika licked Mila like crazy, having missed her friend after she ran away.
"I missed you too, Chika." Mila giggled.
Mirabel got everyone onto the horse.
"Where are we going now?" Bruno asked.
"Home." Mirabel and Mila answered together, and they began riding the horse back home, Chika following.