Breakthrough

When the celebration was over, Mila was so happy to see her room again, this time better than ever. That night, she got started right away working on plans for her next great invention. However, she also noticed the board she previously had labelled Why Didn't Mirabel Get a Gift?
Mila laughed and shook her head. There was no need to worry about that now. The house was back, the family was together, and now they were going to be better than ever. However, when Mila picked up her journal, she saw a picture fall out of it. The same picture of her, Mirabel, and Abuela before the gift ceremony. Then, Mila looked at the board again, then at the picture, and then the board.

The Next morning...
The family was getting ready for breakfast. Of course, Camilo tried to sneak seconds again. But, Chika stopped him by barking.
"Has anyone seen Mila?" Abuela asked, noticing Bruno's oldest child was the only one absent.
Alicia looked over and said, "There she is."
"I know the reason!" Mila exclaimed. "I finally have the answer!"
Mila looked like she hadn't even brushed her hair yet, and like she slept in her lab coat too. She had been up all night doing research and putting together her evidence.
"What answer, Mila?" Julieta asked.
"I know why Mirabel didn't get a gift." Mila said.
Even though the family wasn't worried about why Mirabel didn't get a gift, some were still a bit curious, especially Mila.
"Okay, listen carefully. Think this through with me."
Mila looked at her notes and talked it through as clearly as she could.
There were seven people in Casa Madrigal who didn't have gifts: Felix, Augustine, Alicia, Mirabel, Pedro, Rosella, and Abuela.
All of them lacked gifts for different reasons. Felix, Augustine, and Alicia because they were Madrigals by marriage, and Rosella and Pedro were still too young to receive gifts. Only one other person besides Mirabel didn't have a magical gift, and that was Abuela.
For the longest time, it didn't make sense to Mila that she would get a gift and Mirabel didn't. So, if the magic were punishing the family by taking away the miracle, why did it give Mila a gift that night? But then, after the house was restored, the magic of the candle was too. Then, that was when it all came together.
Abuela obviously wasn't going to be around forever, and Mila was pretty sure the candle didn't include immortality when it gave her the miracle, or they wouldn't need new generations of Madrigals to keep the miracle burning. And that was how Mila had a breakthrough with the answer.
"Mirabel didn't get a gift because the candle chose her." Mila said. But, that seemed to confuse everyone. So, Mila explained, "It chose her to be its next holder. Its heir. So, after Abuela's time, Mirabel will take over as the protector of future generations. And later, another Madrigal will be chosen, and they won't need a gift to do it. Abuela doesn't need magic of her own to protect the candle, and Mirabel doesn't need magic to help the family either."
Mirabel could hardly believe it. Even after she saved the miracle, she was finding out more and more about herself. Someday, she would be the new keeper of the candle's magic, and the community would look up to her to help them.
"I couldn't think of anyone more capable of watching over future generations," said Abuela, placing a hand on Mirabel's shoulder.
Mila's brother and sister seemed to agree.
"Whatever gifts you two get will be just as special as you two," said Mila. "But, you don't need gifts to be special or part of this family. You're the real gifts all on your own."
And so, the Madrigals were left with a whole new miracle: a second chance to be a family. A better family. Stronger and more wonderful than ever.