21. The Collage of Winterhold

"You have got to be kidding, right?"

"Not exactly."

"Well could you please elaborate because I will get on that dragon and leave here without you if you don't."

"Ummm, well you see, because you are sort of a celebrity because you saved the world and all, people know who you are and what you have done. They also know that you have no family here and since they only let in students and family, I think you know what I mean."

"No, I don't, why couldn't you just be another student."

"Well because, I may have done a thing or two, and well..."

"Spit it out Miraak."I practically shouted at him.

"After what I did years ago, the collage put wards around it so that people like me cannot use magic there."

"What do you mean people like you?"

"People that have been sworn to the daderic prince of knowledge can't use magic because the elders that used to be here feared that we would use the knowledge we have from Mora and Apocrypha to get the knowledge in the library there, because some of the books in there are so rare and incredibly dangerous by the way, that they aren't even in Apocrypha."

"And because I was not completely under his control, I can use magic there."

"Exactly."

I walked over to the dragon, hauling my satchel over my shoulder and I clambered on to the dragon, thank goodness this dragon was smaller so Miraak didn't have to help. Just thinking about that time made my cheeks heat up. "If I can't think of a better plan on the way there I guess it could work."

Miraak also climbed up onto the dragon, "It will work you know."

"I highly doubt that."

It didn't take long after the dragon took off for us to reach Winterhold, and as we stepped down of the dragon, outside of the town the air felt considerably colder, a bite in the air to cause frost bite. The college was massive and loomed above the small houses, the stone work making everything for miles around seem small.

"Well here it is, are you ready?"

"Yep, but I think we need to change into the mage armour first, really speaking we should have done it at the house."

"Ah ok, good idea."

We walked over to the nearest tavern, the building under the shadow of the mighty stone arch leading to the collage. Once inside it was different to the other taverns as it was still considerably cold. After a few minutes the bar maid let us change one at a time in the back room.

"You know what, these wizard cloths are actually very comfortable and really warm as well." Miraak stated as I cam out of the room wearing a purple mage outfit. "And not to mention you look quite lovely, fake future wife."

"Why thank you, fake future husband." I couldn't help laughing at the thought as I walked over to him.

"Let's go to college then."

The walk up to the arch was as cold as ever and we were stopped by a woman at the entrance. She spoke loudly as she addressed us. "Hello, if you are here to join the college, as you already probably know we have significantly increased the security so we are only letting in the best of the best." She looked me up and down, clearly noting the outfit and the fact I now had a staff on my back. "Do you think you have what it takes?"

I nodded at the woman and in response she lifted her eyebrows sourly as if telling me to prove it. So I did.

I called fourth the fire ball magic, feeling it's power running through my veins and into my hand, I then threw the fire past her at the arch and it burst into flames, leaving dark sooty scorch marks on the old brick work.

"Is that all?"

I wasn't expecting to have to do more than one spell so I instead of using another destruction spell I cast a ball of mage light to my hand and threw it at the ceiling. The white glowing orb casting a calming light over the stone.

"Well I suppose if you can demonstrate multiple schools of magic that you could be a mediocre student." She turned properly tone then and asked, "So what is your name then."

"I am Alye Moonstar."

"Oh so you're the dragon born, I was wondering when you would show up." She then turned to Miraak and looked him up and down. "And who are you? The dragon born has no family so what exactly are you doing here?"

"I am her future husband."

"Ah I see, well I suppose you can go in." She stepped to the side and let us pass.

Miraak instantly threw his arm around my shoulders and hugged me close to him as he gave the woman a smirk as if to say 'ha fooled you'. What was he doing. We didn't have to pretend that much. We walked like that until we got to the gates. With every step I felt my cheeks heating up, my legs go slightly wobbly, and I had no idea why, it had to be the stress of getting in.

Once we got to the gates and we were out of sight I pushed him off me. "What was that? You said we could pretend to be getting married, you never said anything about pretending to be...what ever that was."

"Why are you so worried? Does it scare you?"

"Does what scare me?" I almost shouted at him.

"The idea of someone caring about you."

"I...I don't know." I threw my hands in the air and proceeded to walk right in front of the gate and as I was about to open it the to gates spread wide open like welcoming hands. "Let's just get this book and get out of here."

As I turned Miraak looked ever so slightly disappointed and when I looked down at his hands I realised why. There was flame burning in his hand and as he stepped within the threshold of the gate the fire sputtered and died out, leaving only a small tendril of smoke and his empty hand.