It Can't Work

"As I was saying, we've laid on lunch for you before you set out into the park, our gourmet chef Alejandro-." Hammond said after the two.

"What're they doing?" Allen asked as he watched a cow being lowered down into the pen.

"Oh, feeding them. Alejandro is preparing a delightful menu for us Chilean sea bass, I believe. Shall we?" John rushed.

Olivia watched as the cow bellowed before growling noises took over. Olivia didn't have a weak stomach so she was ok during this little adventure. Ellie however couldn't say the same.

Ian watched as Olivia stared down into the pen, her face expressionless, not revealing anything. That's why he was so interested in her. She was unreadable.

"They should all be destroyed." A new voice called to them. Olivia turned to look at a tall man clad in all khaki. Quite the opposite of Ian.

"Robert, Robert Muldoon, my game warden from Kenya. A bit of an alarmist, I'm afraid, but knows more about raptors than anyone." John explained.

"What's their metabolism, whats their growth rate?" Allen instantly pressed.

"They're lethal at eight months. And I do mean lethal. I've hunted most things that can hunt you, but the way these things move..."

"Fast for a biped?" Olivia questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Cheetah speed. 'bout fifty or sixty miles per hour if they ever got out in the open, and they're astonishing jumpers." Muldoon nodded.

"Yes, yes, yes, that's why we're taking extreme precautions. The ah, viewing area under here-."

"Do they show intelligence?" Allen interrupted.

"They're extremely intelligent. Even problem-solving intelligent. Especially The Big One. We bred eight originally, but when she came in, she took over the pride and killed all but two of the others. That one, when she looks at you, you can see she's working things out. That's why we have to feed them like this. She had them all attacking the fences when the feeders came."

"But the fences are electrified though, right?" Ellie asked.

"That's right, but they never attack the same place twice. They were testing the fences for weaknesses systematically. They remember..."

Olivia's attention turned towards the crane that was pulling up the harness that held the cow. It was tattered and bloody, swaying from side to side.

"Oh shit." Ian whispered beside her. She nodded.

"Oh shit."

They had been taken to a dining area, with videos and other things playing all around them.

"None of these attractions are ready yet, of course, but the park will open with the basic tour that you're about to take, and then other rides will come online six to twelve months after that. Absolutely spectacular designs. Spared no expense." John said excitedly.

"And we can charge anything we want. Two thousand a day, ten thousand a day, and people will pay it. And then there's the merchandising which I personally-." Gennaro was cut off.

"Donald, Donald. This park was not built to cater only for the super-rich. Everyone in the world has the right to enjoy these animals." Hammond grinned.

Olivia turned away from their conversation and to Ian. "This isn't a good idea, is it?" She asked.

"No, uh, I can already tell someone is going to get hurt." He said gravely. "This wasn't smart."

Olivia agreed with him. "You're right. I wish I didn't have to say this but, things aren't gonna end well."

"Gee, the lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh, staggers me." Ian scoffed, catching part of their conversation.