18

Following a long night, featuring: beer, gin and tonic and margaritas, Fiona woke up oddly fine, expecting the worst for later. She could remember everything about the night before, except for some bits, for example when she challenged Jamie, on who was gonna be the fastest to drink a whole pint of beer.
Fiona took place under Alex's arm, cuddling up with her head on his shoulder and her hand on his bare chest. The silence was progressively filling the room, of Alex's hotel suite, until the sound of a notification, coming from Alex's phone, broke it completely. «It's your phone.» Fiona said, seeing that Alex didn't react.
«Yeah I know,» he said. «but it's too far.»
Fiona looked at the bedside table next to her. «I can grab it.» she said.
«It's alright.» he said.
They both closed their eyes, wanting to enjoy the moment, when another notification arrived. «You want me to pass it to you?» Fiona asked Alex.
«Just tell who it is, and I'll tell you if it's important.» Alex said.
Fiona lean out of the bed, to see the phone. She looked back at Alex, with her eyebrows up. «Alex,» she said. «you're dating someone?»
He frowned. «No,» he answered. «I mean we're about to break up.»
Fiona held the bed sheet to her naked chest, as she got sit on the bed. «Alex you're with someone else? And we just shagged? Are you out of your mind?»
«We basically broke up.»
«That doesn't mean anything,» Fiona said furious. «you two are still together.»
Alex, speechless, looked at Fiona freaking out. He didn't know what to say, but she didn't know what to say, because of all the things she wanted to say.
«God Alex,» she spoke again. «why would do something like this? This is cheating.»
He was staring at Fiona, and didn't even take a second to think about what to answer, he just knew it. «Because I love you.» he spat.
Fiona's heart stopped for a long second, as her lungs seemed to be unusable. She started shaking her head. «No,» she said, without taking her eyes off Alex. «no, you don't love me.» she tired to convince him.
«Yes I do. I love you.»
«Alex stop.» she said stroking her own her with her hand, trying to calm herself.
She quickly grasped her underwear from the floor and put it on.
«I love you Fiona, please stay.» Alex hopelessly said, after he also wore his underwear and stopped Fiona at the bedroom's door.
She shook her head. «No,» she said. «no, no you can't do this,» she said. «we don't belong together and you know it.»
«Fiona, I have never loved someone as I do with you.»
Fiona wore her dress and tried to walk to the living area, where she left her shoes and purse. «Alex, you're talking nonsense.»
«I'm not.» he said, following her. She found her bag on the settee. «Stay, come to tour with me.»
«I can't,» she firmly said. «I have to work, that's why I'm here. In July they'll move me back to London, this was just a momentary thing.»
He looked straight into her eyes. «I don't think I could stand being away from you again.»
«Alex, you're just looking for the brainless teen love we had, we're not teenagers anymore.»
«But I still love you like I did before, perhaps even more if it's possible.»
«But this is not the life I'm meant to have,» she said. «I'm supposed to have a shitty job, because I was so stupid to leave college,» She picked up her shoes from the floor. «an husband that doesn't love me and screaming children that'll grow up with not enough love to not have several traumas... this is the life I deserve, and I know you deserve better than me.»
She tried to walk to the door, but he stopped her once again. «No, you don't deserve anything of that.» he said. «I love you like no one else could ever even imagine, you could even quit your job and focus on your career as an actress.»
She stayed quiet, which made the silence feel heavier.
She sighed. «Thank you Alex for the wonderful night.»
She stood on her tiptoe and kissed him on the cheek, to then smile with compassion and leave the hotel room, where Alex got suck into a hole of emptiness.