3

The Grapes, was more crowded than usual, but unfortunately, none of the people in there was Fiona.
«Are we ready?» Matt asked.
«No.» Alex delivered as a quick slap.
Matt looked at him carelessly. «It's just a gig,» he said, thinking his answer was due to stage fright. «we'll play like we always did.»
Alex kept looking straight, analysing every single person in the pub.
Jamie smirked. «He's waiting his bird, who's not his bird.» he said, letting out a soft chuckle at the end.
«She's probably here, let's just start already.» Andy said.
Alex wasn't convinced, and because the people were waiting, Matt had to push him on stage, where the lights flashed on him and got everybody's attention. He couldn't go back, so he just took his place, as well as Jamie, Andy and Matt.
Suddenly Alex's mouth was dry, completely, it was even hard to swallow, even though he didn't have any saliva, as it was all dried out by the anxiety.
People were looking, staring, perhaps judging, making Alex feel more and more uncomfortable.
He looked behind him, pretending to check if his friends were ready, but he actually taking a big breath, before shaming himself in front of many people, or at least that's what he thought.
He approached the microphone, to let it get to his lips. «Hi, we are the Arctic Monkeys,» He thought that name sounded dafter than ever, when it escaped his mouth. «from High Green.» he said.
Someone cheered as they heard High Green being nominated and Alex shyly smiled.
They started playing right after and Alex's worries seemed to fly away, being blown away by the music.
He made up an American accent, because he was sure, that with his real accent it wouldn't have sounded good. His eyes were shut close, he didn't want to see the crowd, he just pretended like he was alone in his room; the exact opposite of when he was actually in his room, pretending to play a gig.

The whole performance lasted twenty five minutes, with big applauses and cheers after every song; just two of them were theirs, the others were covers.
Getting off stage felt to Alex like some sort of real self-realisation: he did it, he sang and played in front of people for the first time ever.
Their friends rushed to them, to say their congratulations and thoughts on the show. «It was wicked.» Chris said.
As happy as Alex was, he still looked around, seeking for her light.
Someone took the initiative of going to the bar and everybody followed him. There they were talking and laughing loudly, with a beer each.
Alex's heart was still rushing cause of the adrenaline of the moment, but when he saw her, it almost felt like a heart-attack. Just one look managed to send coursing through his veins as his heart started racing.
Of course he wasn't the only one who noticed her, and once the others did as well, she was drowning in people trying to say hello to her, and maybe even make her smile somehow.
She was wearing a green dress, that matched perfectly her eyes, but unlucky it was too dark to notice; although on a differente point of view it was a good thing for Alex, who was completely red in his face, looking at the girl of his dreams.

After what seemed an eternity to Alex for staring at her, she finally noticed him and approached.
Again Alex's heart started rushing, as he felt tenser and tenser. «You guys were great.» she said.
Her smile made him nervous. «Rea- do you- were-» he tried to talk, but it seemed like he couldn't deliver it properly. «thanks.» He figured that trying was useless and just went for the easiest way.
«I arrived a bit late, but I did listen to every song,» she said. «I loved that White Stripes cover.»
«You- you did?» he asked surprised.
«Of course,» she smiled, landing a hand on his shoulder. «you did amazing.»
Alex wasn't sure if with "you" she referred to the whole band, or only him, but he liked to think she was talking just about him.
«What about some fish and chips?» Aidan asked.
«You're always bloody hungry.» Albert complained.
Chris stepped in. «Well I had a couple spliffs, so I'll join my boy Aidan.»
Chris left with Nick, Aidan and eventually Albert, Molly was with Julia, which left Fiona, Alex, Jamie, Andy and Matt together. «What are you drinking?» Jamie asked her.
«Don't know,» she carelessly shrugged. «that guy over there paid for it.»
Jamie looked over at the guy, with a Smirnoff Ice, and looked back at Fiona. «You're unbelievable.» he smiled. «You could literally buy the entire pub.»
«No I can't,» she said. Alex looked at Jamie, scared that he said the wrong thing. Usually rich people didn't like to being called "rich" for some reason. «but my parents could.»
Jamie chuckled shaking his head, while Alex escape from his lips a small smile.
«Guess it's our time to go.» Andy said.
Alex looked at his friend, he didn't want to leave, Fiona was there and so he wanted to stay there. He gave a glance to his friend and he looked at the girl.
«Maybe we can wait for Nick.» he sighed.

Jamie and Matt talked to Fiona, while Alex felt too shy to, when then Nick approached. «We're done, you coming?» he asked.
They all nodded and Alex looked at Fiona. She looked around and back at the boys. «My friends left, so I guess I'm going too.»
They all walked outside, and went to a taxi rank, whilst Chris, Aidan and Albert left with their cars.
Two men were yelling at each other, on who was next in the queue, getting to the point of forgetting the taxi and throwing hands on each other.
Andy opened the door of the taxi, seeing that those two men were too busy. «Hey mate,» he said. «is there enough room for six?»
«It's not a school bus kids,» he rudely answered. «and you can't get in with the food.» he said looking at Nick, who had a bag of hot and oily chips.
«I'll take the next one.» Fiona said.
Matt looked at Andy. «Great.» he said. He grasped Nick's chips and hand it to Alex, then he pushed everybody in the car, leaving Alex with the girl.
Fiona lit up a cigarette as they waited for another taxi to arrive. «So what do you think of the gig?» he asked her.
«Are you kidding? I've told you so many times.» she laughed.
He remembered, he just wanted to make her laugh.

When the taxi finally arrived, Alex told the driver the destination. Fiona wasn't worried about the money, on the other hand, Alex kept staring at the count.
The destination was Fiona's house, he insisted on taking her home, hoping for another kiss to touch his lips. And a kiss was indeed delivered, but not on the lips, right on the cheekbone. «Good night Alex, thanks for the company.» she smiled at the door.
He smiled back and waited for her to get inside and close the door.
The whole night felt like a real nightmare for Alex, every of his haunting thoughts were owned by Fiona, and every of them were insecurities and worries, about her feelings towards him.