Chapter 3: Abandonment

In a mansion that resembles the castle in the tale of the Frozen Land, through the gloomy corridor without a ray of sunlight, in the study room full of cold air emanating from books and dozens of rigid papers, two people are facing each other, one sitting and the other standing.

- Your Excellency, the baby of Duke Silvannus, was born.

The so-called duke continues to read and sign his paper, not showing any interest. His face is like a statue, indifferent and cold. The person who spoke up is not surprised by this.

- The baby's name is Zabel.

The duke pauses for a moment, then resumes his work.

- What do you want to say, Zack?

That voice lacks any warmth, which makes Zack feel cold. His whole body trembles even though the room has a fireplace.

- I want to talk about your son...

- Borwen? Is it dead?

The duke casually interrupts Zack with a question that shows no emotion. He questions his son's life as if he is asking about daily work, and Zack feels pity for the little lord.

Last year, Master Borwen bought a pony to practice riding. However, due to the slope of the mountain and the slickness of the snow, he fell, even breaking his arm. His father, the duke in front of him, was furious when the nurse knocked on the door in a panic. Zack still remembers those words: The duke spoke, followed by a cold look.

- If it's not dead, don't bother me.

After that, no one dares to tell him anything about Borwen. At the same time, Borwen never takes the initiative to find his father. This already strained relationship has only grown worse. No one would think they are father and son if it were not for Borwen's resemblance to the duke. Zack shake his head to stop himself from continuing to think. Today, he is there for something more important.

- Sir, I want to talk about the oldest son, not the second one.

- Oldest son?

The duke raises an eyebrow, and then he narrow his eyes.

- Oh, it's still alive.

...

To the north of the Aelius Empire is the Silver Wolf mountain, which is winter all year round. At the foot of the mountain is the city of No Day because it is rare to see the sun here. Although there is light here, the sun is always hidden behind the clouds. In addition, this place only has sunlight for the first three months of the year, while the city is lit with the Moon Star - a special gemstone for the remaining nine months. This gemstone is mined from Silver Wolf Mountain and crafted from the magic of the Verhan family.

To the empire, the head of the Verhan family is one of the four dukes. Still, to the people of the city of No Day, Verhan is almost royaltyand is the god they worshipped. The town also has its own rules, and people here speak two languages, the national language and Mecre, the ancient language of this land.

The Verhan family has an extremely long history. According to legend, they has survived two dynasties before the country became the Aelius Empire. Verhan is known by the nickname the Winter Lord or Ice Wizard. Each family member has eternal youth, an extremely long life span, and powerful magic. The current owner, Sharfan El Verhan, is considered the most powerful sorcerer in the empire's history. Obviously, the duke is just as heartless as his spells.

Duke Sharfan married his wife, Veronica, on a day of heavy snowfall. There were no weddings, no celebrations, no applause, and blessings. That lady became a mystery not only to the city's people but to everyone in this country, even neighboring countries. Veronica, Sharfan's wife, became a story discussed until today. There are many rumors and fictional stories about the identity of the woman who suddenly appeared and became the wife of this emotionless duke. They guess that Sharfan must really love Veronica because they do not think someone like Sharfan would marry someone he did not love.